Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Magitek Pilot Archetype
I was poking around the new Archetypes that came with today's update and I noticed a couple of things that may or may not be intentional with the Magitek Pilot.

---Notes/Possible Issues---

1 - They gain a bonus to the Repair Skill (Magitek Mastery at level 4), but don't actually have repair as a class skill.

2 - As a tech based class, they have relatively few tech related skills.  Given the flavor it feels like their skill list should have either Knowledge Engineering or Technology.

3 - Magitek Feint seems a touch odd for them to give since in most of the cutscenes that involve them, Magitek units seem to be oriented around Power rather  than Finesse.  The units having an Str of 24 and a Dex of 8 seems to support this.

---Suggestions---

1 - Magitech Operator already gives you Drive as a class skill, so perhaps giving them Repair to replace Ride instead of Drive.

2 - Replacing Handle Animal with either Knowledge Engineering or Knowledge Technology seems a decent trade off as the flavor of the Chocobo Knight changes pretty dramatically when you use Magitek Pilot.

3- Perhaps replace the bonuses to Feint with bonuses to Bullrush or Overrun?

4 - May need to tweak Indomitable Steed to just increase the Magitek's Hardness by 5 rather than granting it 5/- DR.  Uncertain if this is necessarily needed since I think Hardness and DR stack (It's been a while since it came up, so not entirely sure on this one).  If a pilot cannot be attacked while operating the Magitek Unit, you might even take away the DR that they gain from this ability since they're not exposed to danger as often as a regular Chocobo Knight might be.  If they can be attacked, ignore that last bit, though you might want to indicate what sort of Cover the Magitek Unit grants against attacks.

5 - The way you handled hardness is a rather good compromise as having 10 Hardness at level 1 would be severely OP, though having to wait until level 18 to gain the full 10 hardness might be a bit much.  Perhaps drop the increase from 5 to 10 hardness to Magitek Upgrade 2 at level 12?  The cost of a basic magitek unit, and its accompanying 10 Hardness, is well within the average level 12 character's budget so it seems a decent level for it.

6 - Since the saving throws for the Beam Cannon ability are there purely for Status Effect negation, I don't see that as being a particularly large issue, but giving them the typical 10+1/2 level+Ability (Probably Int) mod save for a class feature couldn't hurt either since this version of Magitek is a bit more specialized than the standard versions.

All in all it's a solid class Archetype, and I love the flavor of it.  Using Chocobo Knight rather than the more expected Engineer for the base class works rather well, but throws up a few, largely skill based, issues as noted above.
(01-01-2019, 11:42 PM)Snowsong Wrote: I was poking around the new Archetypes that came with today's update and I noticed a couple of things that may or may not be intentional with the Magitek Pilot.

---Notes/Possible Issues---

1 - They gain a bonus to the Repair Skill (Magitek Mastery at level 4), but don't actually have repair as a class skill.

2 - As a tech based class, they have relatively few tech related skills.  Given the flavor it feels like their skill list should have either Knowledge Engineering or Technology.

3 - Magitek Feint seems a touch odd for them to give since in most of the cutscenes that involve them, Magitek units seem to be oriented around Power rather  than Finesse.  The units having an Str of 24 and a Dex of 8 seems to support this.

---Suggestions---

1 - Magitech Operator already gives you Drive as a class skill, so perhaps giving them Repair to replace Ride instead of Drive.

2 - Replacing Handle Animal with either Knowledge Engineering or Knowledge Technology seems a decent trade off as the flavor of the Chocobo Knight changes pretty dramatically when you use Magitek Pilot.

3- Perhaps replace the bonuses to Feint with bonuses to Bullrush or Overrun?

4 - May need to tweak Indomitable Steed to just increase the Magitek's Hardness by 5 rather than granting it 5/- DR.  Uncertain if this is necessarily needed since I think Hardness and DR stack (It's been a while since it came up, so not entirely sure on this one).  If a pilot cannot be attacked while operating the Magitek Unit, you might even take away the DR that they gain from this ability since they're not exposed to danger as often as a regular Chocobo Knight might be.  If they can be attacked, ignore that last bit, though you might want to indicate what sort of Cover the Magitek Unit grants against attacks.

5 - The way you handled hardness is a rather good compromise as having 10 Hardness at level 1 would be severely OP, though having to wait until level 18 to gain the full 10 hardness might be a bit much.  Perhaps drop the increase from 5 to 10 hardness to Magitek Upgrade 2 at level 12?  The cost of a basic magitek unit, and its accompanying 10 Hardness, is well within the average level 12 character's budget so it seems a decent level for it.

6 - Since the saving throws for the Beam Cannon ability are there purely for Status Effect negation, I don't see that as being a particularly large issue, but giving them the typical 10+1/2 level+Ability (Probably Int) mod save for a class feature couldn't hurt either since this version of Magitek is a bit more specialized than the standard versions.

All in all it's a solid class Archetype, and I love the flavor of it.  Using Chocobo Knight rather than the more expected Engineer for the base class works rather well, but throws up a few, largely skill based, issues as noted above.
Done. Changed Class Skills (added Knowledge: Technology and Repair, removed Animal Handling and Ride). Changed Magitek Feint ability to Magitek Juggernaut. Added Magitek Defense (19th level), replacing Indomitable Steed. DC for the beam cannons are equal to 10 + half of the chocobo knight’s level + his Intelligence modifier instead of what’s indicated.