Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free lancer op?
Anyone else finds that the freelancer is too powerful can be too overpowered at any level especially after lvl 10?
Well a full defence build

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-05-2017, 07:17 PM)Umbra black Wrote: Well a full defence build

First off, I believe different natural armors don't stack.

Secondly, Juggernaut armor is still a racial ability. Unless you're a shindroid, you can't pick it up.

Lastly, you've spent way over the starting max points at 1st level.
Having two separate sources of natural armor does not stack, but effects that say they increase your natural armor by +x or give your a +x enhancement bonus to your natural armor do.
(09-06-2017, 01:53 AM)Manly Man Wrote: Having two separate sources of natural armor does not stack, but effects that say they increase your natural armor by +x or give your a +x enhancement bonus to your natural armor do.

I see well I'll have to inform the player who made this charictor of this thank you I'll see if it changes my stance on free lancer
For the record, I made that full defense build, and I appreciate the information

But, I've found that there's something wrong with Freelancer specifically because Full BAB and all good saves is really cheap.

I have someone in my campaign, with Umbra, that mathed out their character to the point he has all good saves, full BAB, a d12 for health, red mage spells, an ability that allows them to bypass DR, and at level 11 took Jack of all Trades, so he doesn't have to spend points on skills. Just skill points. He also took something from Dark Knight that allows him to add his Charisma modifier (+4) to all of his saves. I can't kill him because of the healing magic and his saves.

Like, it's less the fact that it's an overpowered class, it's moreso that the customization is the problem. You can choose so many things that altogether will shove your foot in your dm's rear end. You can do far too much with the class and I think it needs to be altered some. Like, health and saves should only be able to be bought at first level, with health and BAB. You know?
(09-13-2017, 02:39 PM)MrDeimos Wrote: For the record, I made that full defense build, and I appreciate the information

But, I've found that there's something wrong with Freelancer specifically because Full BAB and all good saves is really cheap.

I have someone in my campaign, with Umbra, that mathed out their character to the point he has all good saves, full BAB, a d12 for health, red mage spells, an ability that allows them to bypass DR, and at level 11 took Jack of all Trades, so he doesn't have to spend points on skills. Just skill points. He also took something from Dark Knight that allows him to add his Charisma modifier (+4) to all of his saves. I can't kill him because of the healing magic and his saves.

Like, it's less the fact that it's an overpowered class, it's moreso that the customization is the problem. You can choose so many things that altogether will shove your foot in your dm's rear end. You can do far too much with the class and I think it needs to be altered some. Like, health and saves should only be able to be bought at first level, with health and BAB. You know?
Health, saves can ONLY be bought at 1st level. So he had no armor proficiencies and simple weapons?
(09-13-2017, 03:02 PM)Viladin Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 02:39 PM)MrDeimos Wrote: For the record, I made that full defense build, and I appreciate the information

Health, saves can ONLY be bought at 1st level. So he had no armor proficiencies and simple weapons?

He had light and medium armor proficiencies, and all simple and all martial weapon proficiencies
I don't think it says on the page that you can only buy these at first level. I am SO RELIEVED!!
I just looked on the page and it /does/ say that, and I think he overlooked that, as did I
Also, with this all in mind, are spells only buyable at first level or?
(09-14-2017, 12:36 PM)MrDeimos Wrote: Also, with this all in mind, are spells only buyable at first level or?

No, you can buy it at later levels, but its not retroactive. Your caster level starts at whatever level you buy it at.
(09-15-2017, 09:38 AM)Viladin Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 12:36 PM)MrDeimos Wrote: Also, with this all in mind, are spells only buyable at first level or?

No, you can buy it at later levels, but its not retroactive. Your caster level starts at whatever level you buy it at.

One more question
Can you craft alchemical items from the ffd20 page? If so what is the formula for DCs? (I'm new to Pathfinder so I'm not sure)
(09-18-2017, 07:23 PM)MrDeimos Wrote:
(09-15-2017, 09:38 AM)Viladin Wrote:

One more question
Can you craft alchemical items from the ffd20 page? If so what is the formula for DCs? (I'm new to Pathfinder so I'm not sure)

Under Item Creation feats:

[font=Times New Roman]Craft Alchemical Item [Item Creation][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]You can create alchemical items, which can heal, cure status effects, etc. See the Alchemical Item section for more details on what you can make for alchemical items.
Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.
Benefit: You can create Tier 1 alchemical items. Crafting an alchemical item takes one hour per tier and requires the Craft (Alchemy) skill. When you create an alchemical item, you set the caster level, which must be sufficient to cast the spell in question and no higher than your own level. The base prices of the alchemical items are in the Alchemical Item section. To craft an alchemical item, you must use up raw materials costing one half this base price. 
Special: To create Tier 2 alchemical items, you must be at least 7th level. To create Tier 3 alchemical items, you must be at least 11th level. To create Tier 4 alchemical items, you must be at least 15th level.[/font]

Skill Check: Successfully creating a magic item requires a Spellcraft check with a DC equal to 5 + the item’s caster level. Alternatively, you can use an associated Craft or Profession skill to attempt this check instead, depending upon the item being crafted. See Magic Item Creation for more details on which Craft and Profession checks may be substituted in this manner. The DC of this check can increase if the crafter is rushed or does not meet all of the prerequisites. A failed check ruins the materials used, while a check that fails by 5 or more results in a cursed item.
Actually I have something bring up, a free lancer build a player in my campaign made. It was particle because his build was basically his own take as a chrono trigger. His build took the red magery of red mage and quick cast, the casting of a time mage( took the casting at 8th level) and mostly took somethings from the gunner for whats left of his points.(Grit, Deeds, Gun Training.) He just got to level 19 last week he then bring to my attention the spell 24 hours and the deed cheat death. After reading the both of them i quickly realized that he found a way to be immortal. So by my own personal experience of running game with a player playing freelancer, I can so they can be OP but to do so you have to look A LOT in to the system it self.