Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Fantasy 7 Questions
This may have been answered in another forum, but I have some questions. Please Help.

1. The Armor from Final Fantasy 7 is hard to kind of place for me when it comes to regular Pathfinder equpment. Would really like some ideas on that.

2. What would you recommend for classes that use MP? I.E. Aerith would totally be a White Mage by ability types, but in the world of FF7 all Magic comes from Materia. Would like help coming up with rulings on this.

My friends and I would really like to catch the wonder and power that is FF7. We would really like to hear your thoughts and Ideas. Thank you for taking your time and reading this.
I think you need more details in your questions, or I'm not understanding (which is easily possible with how tired I am). I'm really having trouble figuring out what exactly you are asking about.

1) Uhm. Which armour from 7? There were a lot. So which were you referring to? Do you mean the closest to any specific costume the characters have?

2) What are you asking about? Are you asking to class the charactetrs in 7? Are you asking what MP using classes are best?

If you are just wanting to make exactly the characters from ff7 then really only Aerith would be an MP based class, the rest would have UMD I'd think. Since Aerith was the only one with legitimate magic abilty basically. The rest are relatively standard and most are versions of fighters, or gunslingers. With a lot of unique ~not in the ffd20 system~ special character abilities.
I"ld have to go through ff7 character skill list again to really make exact choices though.

So, what was the aim?
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I was also pretty tired last night so my wording could have been terrible.

1. The characters of FF7 Don't wear the standard leather armor or Plate Armor. They have their outfits, (Cloud's Soldier uniform, Barret's Vest and Pants, Tifas shirt and skirt...etc.) However they wear the armor that you acquire through game play. Now I'm not expecting a full list of those armor adapted to FFD20, I would like to hear what other people think that their outfits are armor wise and maybe ideas on what armor would be appropriate for FF7 characters.

2. That is what I was thinking, I just wanted clarification.

Any other helpful advice or just Ideas on how to best use the rules to my advantage for my players would be most beneficial. Hope that makes more sense.
Armor: Because FFVII is very modern and such armors don't exist and the game used Bangles as armor, what id do if your wanting to capture that detail is let everyone have a starting "uniform" that they get with their class. Can be whatever they want really within their starting outfit range that you allow. You can go by the alternate pathfinder rules for getting gear and have the outfits gain enhancement bonus' over time of leveling.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/ot...rogression

Alternatively lets go the bangle route. Instead of straight gear you can give them Bangles. (Leather Bangle/ Plate Bangle etc) Wearing these applying a bonus just the same as their name. such as a plate bangle would act as full plate and such.

Even further, SOLDIER uniforms have pauldrons, so you could have armors come into slots (i think there a rule for that somewhere) so you could wear the uniforms and then pauldrons that give ac but penalties.

Materia and MP: Going with lore, what i would do if i was you is use a mix of the old materia rules. The bigger the weapon the more materia it can hold.
-----------------
Light Handed Melee weapons: 1
One handed: 2
Two Handed: 3
Armor: 2
----------------
I don't remember the exact numbers but that's what i would do.

Now MP.
In the game everyone had MP. Here not so much.

Idea 1: Have characters whos classes dont normally gain mp have the Wild talent feat. And gain 2 MP per level after the first. Using this MP to fuel their Materia uses instead of the whole 3 times a day. Additionally for each Materia use have equipped you can attune to all of them, without the need of a UMD check after wards. However for each materia attuned, you gain a bonus mp based on level of materia
----------------------
MP Bonus:
Level 0: None
Level 1: +1
Level 2: +3
Level 3: +5
Master: +7
------------
But they take the level as negatives to damage on melee attacks.
---------------
Melee Damage Negative:
Level 0: None
Level 1:-1
Level 2: -2
Level 3: -3
Master: -4
------------------
Idea 2: As i said above about the materia just without the will talent feat and natural mp gain. But still using MP to fuel the materia. Course, MP cost will be the same for each spell associate with the materia. Such as a Death Materia, even tho its level 3, to cast death would still require 9 MP.
And without the MP bonus, id allow them to use the Materia 3 times a day without the need to spend MP but must pass a UMD check as if their wasnt attuned to it.
Perhaps even allow bangles to add MP for these, idk.

Hope this spit ball helps. If you wanted me to i could try my hand at converting some outfits, but for simplicity id just do whats above.

EDIT: Looking back on it, the negatives would be abit much. So everyone could have multiple materia id say just a negative 1 to damage per materia.

Character with 1 Materia: -1 Melee damage.
With 2: -2 Melee damage
So on.
Or, alternatively, you could simply give every character the monk's AC bonus, and then supplement that with magic items that increase AC such as Bracers of Armor, Rings of Protection, etc. This way no one is wearing traditional armor, but even so their AC will go up with their level.

I'd actually be more concerned about implementing the varied weapons. Some of the design choices in the game were a little odd after all. For instance, the Nail Bat you could get for Cloud, didn't that technically do more damage than the Buster Sword?
(05-07-2016, 03:21 PM)Shield Wolf Wrote: I'd actually be more concerned about implementing the varied weapons. Some of the design choices in the game were a little odd after all. For instance, the Nail Bat you could get for Cloud, didn't that technically do more damage than the Buster Sword?
I think everything did more damage than the buster sword considering it was the starting weapon.
That would really all depend on the GM at the point what weapons he was gonna introduce and build them accordingly.
Yeah I can't say anything more clever than NeloAngelo. Good answer.
Thanks for your advice. I'll inform my players and we will go from here, thanks again.
(05-07-2016, 08:53 AM)LoganTempest Wrote: The characters of FF7 Don't wear the standard leather armor or Plate Armor. They have their outfits, (Cloud's Soldier uniform, Barret's Vest and Pants, Tifas shirt and skirt...etc.) However they wear the armor that you acquire through game play. Now I'm not expecting a full list of those armor adapted to FFD20, I would like to hear what other people think that their outfits are armor wise and maybe ideas on what armor would be appropriate for FF7 characters

though already answered, another option is to abstractify it. namely, use the mechanical effects of armour, but without the visual apperance, save minor cosmetic changes. So, for example, Cloud uses heavier armour to represent his naturally higher defence, but no matter what the stat sheet says, he's still wearing his soldier onsie and his wrestling belt Big Grin