Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bugan
[Image: RedXIII-FFVIIArt.png]
Bugan

The mostly desert-dwelling Bugan are not well known, and those that encounter the Bugans often mistake them for strange animals or worse. Despite this, Bugans are sentient and may be just as intelligent as most humanoids. Bugan often live peacefully amidst tribes and small towns of other species, appointing themselves as defenders of their chosen lands. This can cause them some grief, as Bugan are generally longer-lived than their friends and neighbors. Bugans have traits from both lions and wolves, however they have brilliant red fur and often their tails are alight with fire.

Bugan Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: A Bugan's body is strong, and their personalities often match, but they lack dexterity as they lack hands. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, and -2 Dexterity.
Size: Bugan are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Type: Bugan are magical beasts
Base Speed: (Quadraped) Bugan base land speed is 40 ft.
Languages: Bugan begin play speaking Common and Bugan. Bugan with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Celestial, Draconic, Galkan, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, and Tarutaru. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.

Offense Racial Traits
Bite: Bugans have a bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage.

Feat and Skill Racial Traits
Strong: Bugan recieve a +2 racial bonus on Athletics checks.
Non-Dexterous: Bugans only grasp (mouth) one item at a time. They can use two-handed weapons, but suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls when doing so with melee or unmodified ranged weapons. Bugans also suffer a -10 to all checks needing fingers due to the low dexterity of their paws.

Other Racial Traits
Tail Light: A Bugan's tail sheds light as a torch. The flame does not burn and cannot be put out, though it can be covered.

Unfinished

Alternate Racial Traits
• Biped (lose speed, gain ???)
• Howl (No Tail Light, gain ability to howl, minor benefit)
• Swipe (lose bite attack, gain two claws)
I actually really like this.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
Thanks.

You don't have to sound so surprised, though. :/
Well I've seen probably half a dozen different attempts at statting out Red XIII's race. So coming across one I actually like is a pleasant surprise. The race is simple and to the point. Nothing really bogging it down.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
Yes, I like it as well. I try to keep things simple, though that doesn't always work out.
I like this too, its by far much better than my version of Red XIII's race (which I named Wolfion). The only problem I see with it is that its ability modifiers add up to +4 when most races in DnD add up to +0, is there a reason for this?
ability mods in 4e add up +4 and in pathfinder it a net of +2
When this race was first created Vil's system had net +4, not +2 or +0. That's about it.

As a side note, I will be getting around to updating my classes/races at some point (I honestly dislike my Fencer's ability names...). I may also combine this race with the Moomba's of FF8 (Moomba is a better name anyhow). Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh! I remember the wolfion! I commentated on it once. Something about it's natural attacks?
Yes, I remember now. There not a strong as they first were, and all my races have had a redraft in some way or form. I look forward to seeing more homebrew content from you in the future.
Updated to work with PF. Alternate racial traits and favored class bonuses will come later.
i like it
Idea spit-balling here. Decided to have a separate distinction for races. Core Races (Dwarf, Elvaan, Hume, Mithra, Galka, and Tarutaru), Other Races (Aegyl, Bangaa, Gria, Ronso, Qu, Seeq, and Viera), and finally 3rd Party Races (Bugan, for example, if Nih finishes it). Core Races will have all the classes for favored classes while Other Races and 3rd-Party Races will have a select few. Similar to the PF SRD site. Also meaning I will take any race suggestions/homebrew and put it in the 3rd party race queue (may need to tweak said races). I have consolidated Cetra and Al Bhed into Hume as a Variant Hume package (I may have said this elsewhere.)
Hey Nil are gonna make your material into PDFs, if you don't have the capacity I can help out.
Nope, not going to. Thanks for the offer, but I'd rather it be on the boards so it's easier to modify. At least for now.
(11-06-2012, 08:19 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: Alternate Racial Traits
• Biped (lose speed, gain ???)

Sounds to me like just reducing speed to 30 feet and losing Non-Dexterous would fit nicely and be easy enough Smile

Also - do you plan on including Favoured Class benefits?
Eventually, yeah. Feel free to make suggestions.