Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemist idea alterations,these bad idea?
Thanks for the reply!

I don't think you can use it that well for "oh crap i need a status effect cure/potion" since its one round to make it, then can use it next round (assuming you are in close hand off range or its a potion). Or if you are giving it to another person. Its create. throw(potion only) or close range handoff. then they use. I've basically never seen it used as anything but after battle top offs. Like a wand of cure light wounds in Pathfinder. Which just seems like a sad use. It works more later levels since you get upwards of a min at level 10. so there is some prebattle prep ability.. But it really should be able to express the Chemist's core ability of "I've got an item for every situation!" that made them so amazing and useful in FFT (and I guess Rikku was sorta one too. and that was the best thing about her was the ability to get the perfect thing)

I like the idea that it rewards forsight "we're walking into a place with massive dungeon complex full of poisoning monsters,a lot of cockatrice we need a lot of softs" and make a bunch in preperation right before entering the area. Not "oh crap I knew we were in an area with cockatrice.. but we didn't have time to stop in town for softs. and now everyone but me is stoned! Oh i must make these quicker while trying to not die! *and mechanically use 2 rounds on each person at least probably more*"
++
Good point that it should automatically die off too though. like when sleep or something. Or go with the mins or 10mins.. In my head it automatically reset into nothingness when you "reset" the ability each day. That was my assumption I guess.

Relatively low uses per day makes me feel like it needs to be more than just 1min per level. 10 mins isn't bad.. a little over 3 hours at level 20. Granted that still isnt a whole lot of "we're walking around in poison bog. let me hand out free antidontes in case" kinda prepping. But in that situation I dont' really need to make it until someone gets poisoned anyway.
++
so. hour per level. Or 10 mins per level. Disappears when the ability resets each day.
Any other detail you think it needs?

---------------------------------
On the throwing bit.. It is really just because that was what Chemists did (and presumably? still do) in Tactics; which is the only place I know them from I guess. Then I wanted to make sure they coudln't throw 3_+haste etc potions at one person and full heal them. So i was looking at the immediate action to limit it. In the scheme of things being able to throw a buncha tailored cures or potions at people in one round, while costing them their immediate/next swift action to use them is pretty even with the idea of a white mage just blasting everyone with restoritive magics.

Hum. I like the idea that either the chemist, or the recipiant can use their immediate action to use the item when thrown. That would ilimit things and make it still usuable and still actually keeping the good spirit of the ability from the games.
basically
Keep the notation about being able to throw any beneficial alchemical item (cause being able to throw softs, antidotes etc is good.) Or i guess throw any alchemical item (but only allow usage of beneificial via this ability) but i dont really want that bit.
"upon recieving the item, they may instantly use by means of a immediate action. If the chemists wish they may use their immediate action to apply the effects to a otherwise unable to target"
That replicates the video game pretty well in this. While bumping the ability up a bit from just "once a round" to make it actually useful in a scaled up game like d20 (where the actual base class from the game would be woefully sad)
-------------

Thanks for the reply!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chemist idea alterations,these bad idea? - by Zwordsman - 02-20-2016, 11:48 AM