Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone explain apothecary for me?
Howdy!

So first my persepctive:
I read chemist thinking huh pretty cool.. I don't care for the bombs but i love how FFd20 does alchemcial items... oh look apothecary. It gives up bombs for something.
So I go look, and see that it gives up bombs for Field med (cited below for ease). So it's sorta basically just giving up offensive nature entirely for that right? It's basically spontanteous healing discovery, except you get Wis mod more uses and you can spend a discovery to get a blessing to add onto it?
Correct?

Does anyone know how to be offensive with this type? I love mad doctor, and when I first heard of the archetype, I thought it was giving bombs up to make better use of Alchemical items. I sorta thought that maybe the free items per day ability at lv 4 would be exapnded for it. Like earlier usage, or they lasted longer than 1 round. (since normally it's kind of hard to use, using a standard to make it, then having to wait the next round to use any non potion stuff).

I suppose that's a better idea for an archetype one day maybe.. One that gives up bombs to focus more on alchemical items.. or a discovery fo expanding how long those items keep.. or more preferably making it a swift action to create those items.
but I went off topic.

Has anyone played an apothecary? What was your experience, how did you make them? I'm having a hard time because my brain is stuck on the cool idea of the guy who uses tons of items to fight with. Which is doable.. but hard to do with cost.

I'm finally getting to play FFd20, after trying to find games for a while.. so I"m trying to avoid just making an alchemist bomb throwing like a fair number of my pathfidnre characters.

Granted with that field med and spont healing he'll be a self healing fool who probably can take some hits

So any tips or thoughts would be nifty if anyones made one before.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Field Medicine (Ex): At 1st level, an apothecary can treat wounds (his own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can use this ability a number of times equal to half his chemist level plus his Wisdom modifier. With one use of this ability, an apothecary can heal 1d6 hit points of damage for every two chemist levels he possesses. Using this ability is a standard action, unless the apothecary targets himself, in which case it is a swift action. An apothecary needs one hand free hand to use this ability. In place of a discovery, the apothecary can select one blessing from the holy knight's list, using his chemist level to determine which are available. This blessing applies to both Field Medicine and Spontaneous Healing, if the apothecary has both.

Spontaneous Healing (Ex): The chemist gains the ability to heal from wounds rapidly. Each day he can use this ability a number of times equal to 1/2 his chemist level plus his Intelligence modifier. With one use of this ability, as a swift action, a chemist can heal 1d6 hit points of damage for every two chemist levels he possesses. If the chemist falls unconscious because of hit point damage and he still has healing available from this ability, the ability activates automatically each round until he is conscious again or the ability is depleted for the day.
I have personally never seen or never played the class. I've seena Chemist be played once but thats all for me. BUT

Looking at it to be "offensive" would be costly as you could do dual effects later with alchemical items and id probably sit back with a crossbow or guns if available. Otherwise i do believe it trys to be more of a healer without the white magic.

That kinda all i really gotto say about it. Besides the dagger being in a scary place in his pic. lol
haha. yeah it is.
thanks.

I'll probably go normal chemist, and for style mostly, stick with firing bombs through my gun after lv 4.

though I still really wish there were feats, or discoveries... to turn alchemical mixture lv 4 ability to become a swift action.. so many fun combos.. plus it's hard to use for anything but "fill up after the fitght" with it as a standard action.

would make an interesting focus for an archetype.. maybe i'll sketch one out for fun once I know the system more.
Always remember too: They are only guidelines. If you want it to work a different way, or wanna add something ask your GM.