Poll: How do you prefer Extra MP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The old way: +1 MP/level
80.00%
8 80.00%
The new way: +4 to Casting Attribute
10.00%
1 10.00%
Removal of Extra MP feat
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extra MP
At the request of Vil, on the topic of a recent debate/disagreement/shared rant we've been having I am creating a poll to see what others think on the recent(?) change to the Extra MP feat.

The way it used to work was it gave 1 MP/level to characters with an MP pool, an increase every level that was easy to calculate and dole out.

It now offers an effective increase to your casting attribute of +4 when calculating MP, thanks to the Ability Score table this is still easy enough to find but the returns have ceased to be stable and no longer offer a bonus every level- or for several levels if your casting attribute is low enough.

I have issues with the idea of a feat that offers variable returns based on the character's attribute. There are some like Power Attack and Combat Expertise which offer scaling penalties and bonuses based on BAB but those do not further boost your damage or AC for having a High Str/Dex, as the stats themselves already cover this. Bonus MP from having a high stat is already a thing, having 20 Int means you get more MP than someone with 16, but a Holy Knight who gets 20 MP from a feat will still have less MP than a Black Mage who gets 20 from a feat, I don't see why the Holy Knight should instead get 10 while the Black Mage gets 27...

Or even one Black Mage get 22 and the other get 31, it's just not equal, and feats are meant to be just that.

So, if you made it past my wall of text (I apologize, but I don't tend to get this passionate about much online), I just want to know if people prefer the new system or the old.