Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zodiac Weapons
So I got bored and have begun the creation of Zodiac weapons! No, they aren't the FF XIV ones. They are based on the Scions from FF XII. What I have below is the first creation (with the Limit Breaks incomplete). I need to know before a spend a day creating the other dozen weapons, however, is if this is OP/UP/balanced/need tweaking/etc, as most of the other weapons will resemble this current set-up. Thanks for the feedback! (P.S. The lower case letters just show the extra bonuses you gain for upgrading the weapon to that roman numeral tier)

Zodiac Weapons
From the land of Ivalice, these weapons are spoken of in only hushed tones, a testament to their great power. Few have seen these weapons, and fewer still have survived the encounter. Who among you will find this great weapons in your possession?

All weapons are based off a starting weapon, and may be upgraded. However, the PCs have the added bonus of (mostly) TWO (2) (!!!!!) separate growth paths; one for the scions of darkness, and one for the scions of light. When you receive the chance to upgrade the weapon, you can only choose one path; once you choose it cannot be changed.

When you upgrade the weapon, it gains an enhancement bonus (replacing the one above it) as well as two of the bonuses underneath it (Also replacing prior upgrades if they provide the same boost). Do note, if the weapon is ever stolen or destroyed, any bonuses for the prior wielder are lost until it is recovered or fixed in a ritual costing 10,000 Gil, plus an additional 50,000 per upgrade.

For added flavor, the true power of these weapons could be limited to wielders under the same zodiac sign as the weapon, though there is no need to force this. If this is done, however, then the wielder (if they do not match signs) are only wielding the base weapon with none of the extra bonuses. If they are the direct opposite alignment or zodiac sign (or even element) is wielding it, well, I’m sure a creative GM can come up with something.

Aries, the Fiery Ram
Heraphit, the Fiery Staff

Base: +1 Fire Staff with a flaming enhancement and x3 crit

Upgrade Paths:
1-Belias the Gigas (Chaotic Neutral)
i) +2 enhancement,
a. +2 Intimidate,
b. Access to Painflare,
c. Resist Fire 10,
d. Add 1 appropriate die to any (Fire) spell.
ii) +3 enhancement, Gain Flaming Burst,
a. +4 Intimidate,
b. +2 Profession (Guard),
c. Resist Fire 20,
d. Add 2 appropriate die to any (Fire) spell.
iii) +5 enhancement,
a. +6 Intimidate,
b. +4 Profession (Guard),
c. +2 Sense Motive,
d. Resist Fire 30,
e. Access to Hellfire,
f. Add 3 appropriate die to any (Fire) spell.
Painflare
A large orb of fire forms in front of the user
Hellfire

2-Loghrif the Transcendent (Lawful Neutral)
i) +2 enhancement,
a. +2 Diplomacy,
b. Access to Silverflame,
c. Resist Fire 5, Resist Bludgeoning 5,
d. Can cast Firaga as a spell-like ability 3/day
ii) +3 enhancement, gain Flaming Burst
a. +4 Diplomacy,
b. Feat: Leadership (As long as weapon is in the wielder’s possession)
c. Resist Fire 10,Resist Bludgeoning 10,
d. Can cast Flare as a spell-like ability 3/day
iii) +5 enhancement
a. +6 Diplomacy,
b. +2 Knowledge (Nobility),
c. Resist Fire 15, Resist Bludgeoning 15,
d. Access to Commanding Force,
e. Can cast Flare II as a spell-like ability 3/day
Silverflame

Commanding Force
"Everyone get out. This'll take a while."
-The worst thing to hear after the result of a roll (Count:5)
Just a bit of trivia/knowledge, the Zodiacs were in effect long before XII existed. They started in Tactics, where the zodiac signs actually had an impact on gameplay as well as finding the stones and seeing the scions. It was also used in IX, though it was more of a sidequest thing. Just letting ya know, cause that might give additional information/fluff.
I didn't remember them in IX. Huh. Thanks for the tip! However, I wanted to make it mostly based on XII's, though I suppose Tactics would also be a fun one to make weapons for.
(03-12-2015, 09:49 AM)silverwerret Wrote: Just a bit of trivia/knowledge, the Zodiacs were in effect long before XII existed. They started in Tactics, where the zodiac signs actually had an impact on gameplay as well as finding the stones and seeing the scions. It was also used in IX, though it was more of a sidequest thing. Just letting ya know, cause that might give additional information/fluff.

Yeah i know them from tactics. Though i never saw in IX. I also see Belias the Gigas which i do believe was the aries stone right?
The Zodiac stones were used as an extensive sidequest in IX, where you had to gather them all for some Queen-like figure. I don't think you ever saw any of the scions or anything, but it has been years since playing. I do know they are in Tactics Advance as well, and possibly A2, but been years for either of them as well. As for if Belias was the Aries stone, i would have to look it up.
Only 5 were in Advance, and they served as bosses/minor exposition. No real personality either. In A2, they were linked to end game accessories. With a large enough smash gauge, you could summon whichever based on the accessory and deal massive damage to all foes (or heal all allies, or do both or kill everyone. They all had themes).

Regardless, I only based these on FF XII. Besides, I'm more worried if they are too powerful.