Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sage
So, just thought I'd ask the people here. Any thoughts on how to make Sages like the ones from Final Fantasy III and the old man Tellah from Final Fantasy IV? To remind people, Sages are essentially what would happen if the White and Black Mages had a baby. Casts all White and Black Magic, weak defenses like typical mages and lower MP due to the large amount of magic versatility. I'm currently using a hobbled together homebrew for a character in my current campaign but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts for a class like this.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
(10-24-2012, 10:38 AM)chaoticangel97 Wrote: So, just thought I'd ask the people here. Any thoughts on how to make Sages like the ones from Final Fantasy III and the old man Tellah from Final Fantasy IV? To remind people, Sages are essentially what would happen if the White and Black Mages had a baby. Casts all White and Black Magic, weak defenses like typical mages and lower MP due to the large amount of magic versatility. I'm currently using a hobbled together homebrew for a character in my current campaign but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts for a class like this.

I was browsing through the classes in my head from other Final Fantasys, and I thought of this as well. Could be cool to see in the game. Although I feel it would be quite similar to Red Mage, though also different. Might be fun Smile
It definitely would be different enough from the Red Mage to work. Red Mages use Black and White Magic and can fight in melee rather competently. Sages are as squishy and bad at fighting as normal mages and even have less MP than normal. They however get the versatility of being able to learn all Black and White Magic. It would definitely be a fun class in my opinion. Smile
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
Like this?

http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/Scholar.pdf

I think Vil has you covered.
Well, maybe I want to play Tellah from level 1? Tongue Plus you can't get 9th level White and Black spells using that.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
I don't like the idea of one class getting 9th levels spells from both white and black magic, maybe that is just me though. I understand the draw back is lower MP, but that doesnt seem to balance it out, again maybe its just my opinion. At higher level MP might not be the biggest issue as lower level, maybe it is i don't know. I haven't ran a campaign yet.
A base class that grants 9th level black and white? I highly, highly doubt it. Assuming Vil works on the spellcasting to bring it back to par, it would be very overpowered.
Not with proper balancing, for example the Sages in Final Fantasy were kept fine in the games by having lower MP and lower primary stats(basically in d20 terms, having to keep both Intelligence and Wisdom decent instead of just one) I can see your point but I think it could be fine if one is intelligent while making the class. Like I said I have a hobbled together version in use by an NPC in my current game and I'll probably post a more thought out version on here sometime in the near future.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger