Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tactical Point Idea
I was thinking about Tactical Points, and how they really aren't listed in what you have created. While It would be cool to see weapon skills in the game, I considered the possibility that you can spend Tactical Points to augment some of your abilities when you level up.

For example, a Black Mage could spend 1 tactical point to upgrade his Aero spell to do 1 additional damage per dice, or possibly increase the DC by 1 of one of his enfeeblement spells. Tactical Points that are used are permanent.

It is just an idea I was working on in my head, may be something worth brainstorming on this thread, may not as well. Smile

Maybe we call them something other than Tactical Points, or maybe they don't get implemented into the game. I think it would just add a little more character customization to the abilities they are given.

Thoughts?
/screams and runs away.
(10-23-2012, 02:49 PM)Viladin Wrote: /screams and runs away.

Haha, don't like it at all I see. It was an idea, doesn't need to be implemented. It would be awful to figure out how you could edit every ability. Would be a nightmare for the DM and writer Tongue
Not that I don't like it, I do. Just a nightmare to balance and implement :p
(10-23-2012, 03:42 PM)Viladin Wrote: Not that I don't like it, I do. Just a nightmare to balance and implement :p

Haha, might be something that as the DM, they just ask if they can do it and you say yes, lol..but make sure they know its open for tweaking.. hahaha

Big Grin
Eh. You should just copy it from Action Points (3.5) or Hero Points (PF), whichever you like better. Maybe make some changes to better reflect whatever Tactical points are (sounds close enough to me.). Either way, it would be an optional rule. Though, a few feats and maybe a 3-5 level PrC focusing on them might be interesting.
(10-23-2012, 04:30 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: Eh. You should just copy it from Action Points (3.5) or Hero Points (PF), whichever you like better. Maybe make some changes to better reflect whatever Tactical points are (sounds close enough to me.). Either way, it would be an optional rule. Though, a few feats and maybe a 3-5 level PrC focusing on them might be interesting.

Have you considered making weapon skills, like from FFXI, or a Weapon Master class that gets different abilities based on his weapon he has out? I think that could be an interesting class, I think Firion was a weapon master in Dissidia. Maybe give him the ability to switch weapons as a swift action eventually.
I didn't play FF11 much. As for the Weapon Master, possibly. What were you looking for?
(10-23-2012, 05:39 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: I didn't play FF11 much. As for the Weapon Master, possibly. What were you looking for?

Basically the weapon skill system worked as followed. You level up your weapon by swinging, at certain levels you gain different attacks. Per hit you generated TP (Tactical Points), and at 100% you could use a weapon skill.

As far as the weapon master, im unsure, just an idea that popped into my head. But possibly one that revolved around using different weapons for different skills.

Maybe something like

Bow:
Level 1 - Flaming Arrow: Adds 2d6 fire damage
Level 3 - Piercing Shot: All arrows fired are touch attacks and ignore damage reduction
Axe:
Level 1 - Avalanche Axe: Deals maximum damage
Level 3 - Mighty Rend: Target receives a Fort save or bleeds for 1d4 rounds.
Level 5 - Decimation: Swing the weapon 3 times at increasing penalties (-2,-3,-4) Each hit adds +2 to damage (total of 6)

Mace:
Level 1 - Brainshaker: Target makes Fort save or become stunned for 1 round +1 per 4 levels
Level 5 - Judgement: Single strike, add 2d6 + 2d6 per 2 levels of lightning damage

Greataxe:
Level 1 - Keen Edge: Adds 1 to the treat range of current weapon
Level 3 - Full Break: Sunder attack that adds 2d6 damage to item
Level 5 - Steel Cyclone: Whirlwind attack with a +2 to hit

Sword:
Level 1 - Red Lotus Blade: Attack adds 1d10 fire damage
Level 3 - Shining Blade: Attack adds 2d6 Holy damage
Level 5 - Spirits Within: Attack adds 2d6 Dark damage, and heals wielder for 2d6 hp

Greatsword:
Level 1 - Power Slash: Power Attack that adds x2 str modifier (instead of the normal 1.5x)
Level 3 - Scourge: All strikes do 50% more damage
Level 5 - Herculean Slash: Target receives a Fort save or becomes paralyzed for 1d4 rounds

Polearm:
Level 1 - Thunder Thrust: Strike deals 1d6 lightning damage
Level 3 - Raiden Thrust: Strike is a touch attack and ignores damage reduction, also adds 2d6 lightning damage
Level 5 - Penta Thrust: Five fold attack that has its penalties increasing as it goes (-2,-3,-4,-5,-6.) Each successful hit adds +1 damage (up to +5)

All materia attached to weapons still work normally.

These are just some ideas for it, obviously the balancing would be needed, possibly name changes or whole different abilities. Also the level that you unlock the ability could be different as well. Possibly add a cool down of some sort on the abilities, so one couldn't just use "Penta Thrust" every round.

Thoughts?
It seems to have a supernatural bent, which isn't what I was expecting from a weapon master class.

Kind of reminds me of Tome of Battle.