Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That feeling of scaring the players
You are missing a few things, it's just not that easy to explain it all as far as GMing goes...

First off: Walls are objects, not constructs, constructs are a creature type- unless the wall moves around and is alive through magic or something, it is merely an object and cannot be critical'd.

My common GM has ruled that anything beyond normal mooks (random goblins you find at level 1) gets max HP per HD, with how strong your party is it really won't hold them back. Another GM I know adjusts the XP we get per encounter. If we trounce it way too easily we didn't learn much, so XP is lowered- if luck was against us and what was supposed to be a simple encounter almost kills us with a couple lucky crossbow bolts to the temples, we get more XP.

You just have to incrementally increase the difficulty until you find something that fits the party- also Oozes do damage weapons when they're used on them, it's Xd6 Acid damage, but most steel weapons have Hardness of 10 so typically they can be used without much worry. Weapon hardness/HP exists in Pathfinder so you can find the rules there.

As far as dealing damage to weapons used to break through a wall, just give them the broken condition- weapons are still usable but take a -2 to attack and damage until they're repaired/maintained. Swords and Axes were not built to go through stuff like that, you'd need like a Mining Pick or something.

Personally I just get the group Barbarian to beef up and plow through the wall, but that's me >.>

Messages In This Thread
That feeling of scaring the players - by kenki - 07-25-2014, 02:20 AM
RE: That feeling of scaring the players - by dairius_chi - 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM