Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minor suggesgtion for Generalist Atchetype
I really like the Generalist archetype for red mage and while reading it over and brewing ideas for possible builds i noticed that a Generalist loses out on two red magerys. I was wondering if this was intentional because it would be an easy fix to change the Extra Quick Cast and Spell Combat Expertise to different Red Mageries for Generalist. Then again I can also see how losing out on those two Red Mageries can represent being a more generalized than specialized red mage.

Some suggestions that come to mind are a Red Magery for more Arcane Points since generalist seems to need them more than the classic red mage. Another Red magery idea is one that gives a bonus to untrained skills. Last idea for a Red Magery would be one that extends the duration of all of the generalists unique calss abilties like Magic Mastery and Spellblade.
Glad you liked it! I mentioned the idea of a 'versatile' Red Mage Hume Archetype to Vil some time back but he had other things on his plate so I ended up making my own- granted he prettied it up a little and changed some class ability names to be more serious... but that's not what this is about.

I actually figured you could still take Extra Quick Casts as the only way for a Generalist to gain any, but having played one for a session now I found Quick Mind (extra swift actions) is practically paramount to a Generalist.

But I do like the concept of increasing the duration of abilities, since not every Red Mage is going to be carrying around a L3 Cha Boost or something to get the most out of them...

If Vil decided to implement such a thing I'd say following Ruby Knowledge Mastery something like 'Charisma treated as 4 higher for determining the duration of class abilities. This is not counted when determining how many Arcane Points or uses of other abilities the Red Mage has.' That's 2 extra rounds per Red Magery, or 4 max.

Extra Arcane Points... there's already a feat for that, but I think there was a racial Favored Class Bonus in PF that gave +1/4 an Arcane Point. No ffd20 races have that but adding the option maybe?

Alternatively, Red Mageries in general are a little stronger than feats so having one be '+2 Arcane Points' doesn't seem outrageous, just unnecessary because of already existing options.
(07-20-2014, 02:13 PM)dairius_chi Wrote: Glad you liked it! I mentioned the idea of a 'versatile' Red Mage Hume Archetype to Vil some time back but he had other things on his plate so I ended up making my own- granted he prettied it up a little and changed some class ability names to be more serious... but that's not what this is about.

I actually figured you could still take Extra Quick Casts as the only way for a Generalist to gain any, but having played one for a session now I found Quick Mind (extra swift actions) is practically paramount to a Generalist.

But I do like the concept of increasing the duration of abilities, since not every Red Mage is going to be carrying around a L3 Cha Boost or something to get the most out of them...

If Vil decided to implement such a thing I'd say following Ruby Knowledge Mastery something like 'Charisma treated as 4 higher for determining the duration of class abilities. This is not counted when determining how many Arcane Points or uses of other abilities the Red Mage has.' That's 2 extra rounds per Red Magery, or 4 max.

Extra Arcane Points... there's already a feat for that, but I think there was a racial Favored Class Bonus in PF that gave +1/4 an Arcane Point. No ffd20 races have that but adding the option maybe?

Alternatively, Red Mageries in general are a little stronger than feats so having one be '+2 Arcane Points' doesn't seem outrageous, just unnecessary because of already existing options.

Actually, that's my bad about the races not having the arcane point FCB. In the early days of Red Mages, just after I switched to Pathfinder, they didn't have an Arcane Pool, so I had to take out any PFB that had it. I'll look over the races and see which would fit.