Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens to a game-in-progress if something is changed?
I wasn't sure where to post this question, but this seemed like the best option. Basically, I'm new to d20. I wasn't a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, but I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy, so I'd like to give this a try. I do have a question, though.

Basically, since it's always being updated, what do I do if something specific is changed (such as a class or a spell), but a player in my game is already using said class or spell? Do I apply the change anyway, do I grandfather them in (meaning, the old rules apply to that particular player), or do I not use the changes at all?
Up to the DM, but in my game, I tell them of the changes and if needed, they can make appropriate changes to their character regarding the change.
Look at it this way and to quote PotC "They're just guidelines anyway." Depends on what works for your group and the changes. If they are comfortable moving stuff around then, so be it. If you want to turn it into a story-driven piece...giving them a reason they need to change, sweet. If both of you decide the change is not worth it, or they give you a solid reason why they don't want to change it...respect that. Personally my group is flexible and we tend to homebrew anyway, so I am anticipating that they would accept the changes, but every group is different, as is every DM.