Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gunslinging Conserns
While I once again don't play a Gunner, I have at least played a Pathfinder Gunslinger, this concludes my usual disclaimer. I'll also start off looking at the firearms/gunblades/etc since they're an integral part of the Gunner Class.

1. First thing I've got regarding the Gunner is to increase the costs of the Gunblades, Firearms and Ammunition for them to keep with the Pathfinder pricing of firearms and the scale they have for availability. By default I would assume the FFd20 setting to be somewhere between "Emerging Guns" and "Common Place Guns" on the scale, since Advanced Firearms are available and Early Firearms are likely cheaper, but they're all still exotic weapons by default.
My suggestions for cost chages are as follows:
Pistol, Standard: 5,000 (more expensive then the revolver since it holds more ammunition)
Rifle, Standard: 8,500 (more expensive then the Pepperbox Rifle in pathfinder since it holds more ammo and does more damage)
Gunblade, Standard: 5,500 (increase over the standard pistol)
Gunblade, Marksman's: 9,000 (increase over the standard rifle)
Bullets, Gun (10): 150 (same cost per round as the Pathfinder "Metal Cartridge" used in advanced firearms)
Bullets, Gun (20): 300 (same reason as for the clip of 10)

2. Second increase the crit of the firearms/gunblades to x4 (again in keeping with the Pathfinder firearms)

3. Consider renaming "Standard Rifle" to something like Marksman's Rifle to hopefully avoid confusion with the Pathfinder's Rifle.

4. Add a "Misfire" rating of 1-2 on the firearms/gunblades, validates the existance of the "Quick Clear" deed and is in keeping with the Pathfinder firearms again.

5. None of the Firearms/Gunblades are listed as "Semi-Automatic" or "Automatic" making the "Double Tap" and "Burst Fire" feats unusable. Even the Magitek's Chainguns aren't listed as such. Nor is there a description of the "Autofire" attack action outside of the "Burst Fire" feat.

6. Change the description of the "Bullets, Gun" to indicate expended rounds are also destroyed (even in real life you can't re-use bullets, at least not without recasting them).

7. The Gunblade, Standard is described as a combination of revolver and shortsword, but it uses a magazine like the standard pistol, consider replacing the word revolver in the text with pistol.

8. The Deed "Evasive" is useless since the Gunner class already gets Uncannny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge and Evasion before level 15.

9. Consider adding the Musket Master's "Steady Aim" to the list of deeds, you've already got the Mysterious Stranger and Pistolero's level 1 deeds and they're a bit more dangerous then increasing the range of two handed firearms, unless you were saving it for the planned sniper archetype.

10. Consider adding two bonus feats at early levels (such as one each at 3 and 6 or 4 and 8) that can be selected from Combat or Grit Feats only. The class is a little light on abilities in the first half of the progression compared to the second.

11. For Gun Training rephrase it slightly to have the wording apply it to Gunblades.

12. For Hairtrigger the wording has it only apply to Pistols (persumably refering to one-handed firearms), consider rephrasing it to be all firearms/gunblades.

13. Close Combat Shot specifies firearms, consider changing to include gunblades.

14. Critical Aim also specifies firearms, also consider changing it to include gunblades.

15. Specify whether or not Lightning Shot stacks with Rapid Shot, if it does not I suggest moving it down several Levels. If it does stack then it's fine where it is. Also it specifies firearms and doesn't include gunblades.

16. Consider adding Repair to the list of class skills.