Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beastmaster
So, the beastmaster uses unarmed strikes now. This seems a bit odd to me. Especially with the monk still having animal style martial arts.

So I was wondering what was thought of taking Feral Combat Style (calling it Feral Strike) and making it a natural attack instead of an unarmed strike. A sort of, non-specific natural weapon. Similar to how the monk can use any part of his body to make unarmed strikes, the beastmaster would be able to use any part of his body to emulate a natural weapon. Some might even grow natural weapons themselves. Regardless of the method, it would act the same; one feral strike a turn, which would always deal the same damage but the damage type could be chosen at the time of the attack. Add a few Rage Powers that gave animalistic abilities (Grab, Trip, Constrict, Poison, etc) and maybe one to let you use a second Feral Strike and using it as a secondary natural attack. Is this a workable idea?
(10-17-2012, 10:10 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: So, the beastmaster uses unarmed strikes now. This seems a bit odd to me. Especially with the monk still having animal style martial arts.

So I was wondering what was thought of taking Feral Combat Style (calling it Feral Strike) and making it a natural attack instead of an unarmed strike. A sort of, non-specific natural weapon. Similar to how the monk can use any part of his body to make unarmed strikes, the beastmaster would be able to use any part of his body to emulate a natural weapon. Some might even grow natural weapons themselves. Regardless of the method, it would act the same; one feral strike a turn, which would always deal the same damage but the damage type could be chosen at the time of the attack. Add a few Rage Powers that gave animalistic abilities (Grab, Trip, Constrict, Poison, etc) and maybe one to let you use a second Feral Strike and using it as a secondary natural attack. Is this a workable idea?

That does sound like a good idea. I wanted to stay away from making Feral Strike a natural attack so they can utilize the BAB.
It's a class with pounce; any character (past a certain level) can choose to charge, full attack, then bite someone. Also, I think you gave the fighter talents that make him better at attacking unarmed; granting the beastmaster the same as rage powers would allow it to pounce with unarmed strikes and natural attacks. Or the Vital Strike line of feats can be taken, focusing the beastmaster on mobility and one devastating attack over lots of strong attacks.

Seems like it'd make an ideal skirmishing class.
(10-17-2012, 10:32 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: It's a class with pounce; any character (past a certain level) can choose to charge, full attack, then bite someone. Also, I think you gave the fighter talents that make him better at attacking unarmed; granting the beastmaster the same as rage powers would allow it to pounce with unarmed strikes and natural attacks. Or the Vital Strike line of feats can be taken, focusing the beastmaster on mobility and one devastating attack over lots of strong attacks.

Seems like it'd make an ideal skirmishing class.

I had thought to perhaps make an animal style martial arts depending on what companion you picked.