Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much to Love and Ask about the Dragoon (for Viladin to answer, and all to see)
I have a Dragoon related question (which may actually be more of an Acrobatics related question)

If the Dragoon goes for the leaping/charge (or any leaping strike) do they have to pick their starting point before the roll or is that something that is just assumed they are aware of how well the might do? I think this might be clearer with an example:

The enemy is 30 ft away from the Dragoon. The dragoon makes a leaping horizontal charge in order to get them. Now if the Dragoon rolls Acrobatics and gets a pitiful 20' jump off they don't make it to their target. No big deal besides laughter and mockery from the Kefkanite and the Summoner (the SUMMONER is making fun of them! Tragedy). But what if the Acro check is 40'? Does the Dragoon still miss the target? Do they strike the target as they pass by (a la Flyby Attack- but without the flying)? Do they retroactively add some vertical jump (which is likely to be present anyway) to compensate for the extra 10' of movement and thus increase their damage? Or do you say that "Hey- you made the 30' jump and that is all you needed the extra roll is just gravy that aesthetically made the jump look cooler but mechanically does nothing because YOU DIDN'T PREPARE WELL!"?

Like mechanically the rules seem to say that a stunning success is a failure, but I can't believe the game would want to punish you for optimizing well? Also images of Dragoons constantly bumping their heads in underground/indoor environments keep popping into my head and I now have a greater understanding of why Kain was evil... Poor guy just wanted a pretty white mage to heal his head bumps Sad

Messages In This Thread
RE: Much to Love and Ask about the Dragoon (for Viladin to answer, and all to see) - by What's in the box? - 08-11-2015, 09:54 AM