Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help adapting some things to a FFXI game
Hello, all.  Found this awesome site a while ago and I had the idea to run a campaign set entirely in FFXI's world of Vana'diel, as I played the game for several years and loved it, however none of my friends in my tabletop group know much of anything about it.  So I'm trying to adapt things within the listed rules to fit much better with FFXI's system, and I was hoping to get some good suggestions.  I'm sure I could come up with some eventually, however I'm new to the pathfinder system and I'm still trying to learn the mechanics (Those that differ from D&D 5e).

To start, I'm trying to go through each of the jobs and see what will work and what won't.  What I need to work on are the following:

- A complete rewrite of Corsair from scratch.  Corsair is more of a Gambler/Gunner in FFXI.  It's a support role that boosts the power of its support abilities by rolling a d6 while attempting to get as close to a cumulative total of 11 as possible without going over.  Each of these different support rolls is based off a different job in the game: Warrior, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, Red Mage, Paladin, Dark Knight, Beastmaster, Bard, Ranger, Samurai, Ninja, Dragoon, Summoner, Blue Mage, Corsair, Puppetmaster, Dancer, Scholar, Geomancer, and Rune Fencer.  Each of those rolls bestows a different effect to nearby allies (Probably within 30 feet or so) that corresponds to some aspect of the job they're based on, and proportional to how well the Corsair rolls.  If he goes over 11 the effect "busts" and disappears, and he can double-up on a subsequent turn and try to roll another d6 to get closer to 11.
Offensively, Corsair's weapon of choice is a gun.  He can also shoot through special cards he carries around to deal elemental damage to his shots.  These shots have the tendency to lengthen the effects of certain status effects already present on enemies, assuming the status corresponds to the used element.  Slow with Earth Shot, Burn with Fire Shot, etc.

- A moderate rework of Summoner, similar to the Caller Archetype but without the half-level penalty.  In exchange, the summoner will be forming pacts throughout the course of the campaign.  With an Avatar summoned, most of their spells would then be to have the avatar use the appropriate skill, be it offensive or support.  Summoner would also be able to buy scrolls that allow them to pact with elemental spirits in the absence of an Avatar.

- A minor rework of Dark Knight to remove the alignment restriction and replace the abilities that involve hindering or damaging good-aligned creatures.  Dark Knights in XI channel rage and anger into their attacks, but are not inherently evil.  Many are considered more the antihero, avenger-types.

I appreciate any help anyone could give and am willing to talk back and forth with you.

Messages In This Thread
Need help adapting some things to a FFXI game - by Shindo - 08-28-2018, 12:33 AM