Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Itching to get back into it, but...
(01-27-2013, 10:28 AM)Viladin Wrote: Pathfinder changes that I can remember: (and that I liked)
Different (better imo) point buy system
+1 to two different stats at every 4 levels instead of 1.
Dropping of the Concentration skill, now every caster has it ingrained.
Tiny level bonuses that you can upgrade, like for example, the generic one is either add 1 skill point or 1 hit point every level. There are class ones too.
A system that handles all combat maneuvers, like Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, etc.
Skill system (I didn't quite like this one, but it sorta works) is slightly different. You no longer get X4 at level 1, but each skill that you put at least 1 rank in becomes Trained and gains +3 bonus.

Most interesting.

1. The point buy system is something I've actually used for a while with Final Fantasy d20. Unless I'm just imagining it, a version of the rules mentioned the +1 to two different stats.
  2. Losing concentration is an interesting change, one which I would like to see in game before I make a judgment on it. It does make sense that seasoned spellcasters would be able to keep their concentration for the purpose of casting, as that is what they are trained to do rather than make it so reliant on Constitution.
  3. The tiny level bonuses intrigue me. This is something I would have to look into, but I love being able to customize level growth as much as possible.
  4. I'm a tad confused by "A system that handles all combat maneuvers, like Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, etc." By this, do you mean that it is more streamlined or that the rules have been altered for the better? Again, something I will want to look into.
  5. That kind of skill system reminds me of the Star Wars Saga Edition/ D&D 4e skill training mechanic, where you invest in a skill and gain a (I believe) +5 bonus to the skill and are considered trained. Admittedly, it makes for a more simplified system, but it also makes it harder for characters who really rely on skills/want to have exceptional results happen often. Though, it does work wonders for classes with low skill points, as it means they can cover their skills more easily.

Also, I did want to make mention that, while Pathfinder is a system you actually purchase, there is an SRD that I just wanted to make mention of, found here.

Messages In This Thread
Itching to get back into it, but... - by Viladin - 01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
RE: Itching to get back into it, but... - by ZeronosVega - 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM