Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemist Balance Issues?
Viladin,

Having been doing research on the Chemist base class for my Juggler prestige class, I came across a few abilities where I questioned their balanced and just wanted to bring them to your attention. I shall list each item in question, along with my explanation of why I feel there is a problem and a potential fix for it.

Confusion Bomb, Madness Bomb, Plague Bomb, Shock Bomb - With each of these discoveries, I feel that their effects which cause either a status condition to be inflicted on a target, or in the case of Madness Bomb, Wisdom damage, need to offer a saving throw to the target. Given that these effects can sometimes last up to 20 rounds, if a team healer isn't available and there isn't a curing item, then I think these effects can run too rampant. In the case of Madness Bomb, direct ability damage, I feel, should have a save much like poison offers in D&D 3.5.

Of the four mentioned, Shock Bomb doesn't have the same sort of status problem, but given that it does maximum damage (now as Lightning), I think that a stun should just be icing on the cake and not something permanent.

On a side note, it might be a good idea to mention whether or not the Wisdom damage is permanent or not in the ability description in order to avoid any confusion. I always assumed temporary, but others might not.

This is just my observation. If anyone feels that I have misunderstood something or the other, then please tell me.

Thanks!
I'll take a look over it and get back to you.