Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do you know about magic?
Uh... finding North is a Survival check- if you can beat the DC by taking a 10 with 1 rank you can always find North when not rushed but... normally you'd still have to roll.

Spellcraft can be used to Identify a spell you see being cast, it's recognizing the Somatic and Verbal components used. Knowledge: Arcana, if it doesn't already have the function, would be the one used to determine if you know of a spell's existence. Blood Biography is not the most obscure, but is non-core and a little niche... so if I were GM I'd list its knowledge DC as 15+spell level, in this case I think it's a 1st level spell?

Now, if your Sorcerer has no ranks in Knowledge: Arcana... then he's not a learned caster, and has spent no time researching all the different magics. With spellcraft he can get a spark of understanding
'those movements make me think it's gonna be a big explosion- and that's the arcane word for fire he just muttered!' letting him piece together that a Fireball is being sent his way even if he never knew such a spell existed.

Sorcerers are also not the bookish types by nature, they get their magic from their blood, they did not train to attain it and technically have no control in-game over what magic they obtain, that's purely in the player's hands choosing how the magical blood awakens within. If it was a Wizard with no Spellcraft or Know: Arcana I'd be asking a few questions... since those are key skills needed for any Wizard to identify, read, or scribe down new spells.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much do you know about magic? - by dairius_chi - 09-23-2015, 10:51 PM