Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tonberry Race: Rough Draft:
Well, Perma blindness (i don't think I put anywhere but not intended) Its just a blind effect that can be easily cured by a potion, esuna, and so on. If I wrote perma then sorry.

Opening statement on stats:
>.>, The CR rateing is a bit off from the level up requirements and applying class level (easily fixed) which would probley go from there. Also, your a bit wrong on some of the saves.

There are 3 saves, will, reflex and fort. Not all saves have to be reflex or fort. However the problem is will also has limited use, and there are actual moves in at least 3.5 that cover str , dex, con and int saves independently instead of those 3 saves. So pardon when i say "has been done before can be changed"

Side issues: Some moves can be reset.

Bonus feats are a bit out of date as this thread was made when ffd20 was made 3.5 / pathfinder and had not fully converted to pathfinder yet.

Racial attacks and spell like abilities from racial sides are not abnormal, of course I can grant you I'll give another look at those.

Separating tonberry types pc to monster , I can agree some moves could probley be edited , increased requirements, and so on. I wanted to give the players a bit more options. Also the clause for blue mage, is because "yes a tonberry and a pc bluemage, tonberry player attacks pc so bluemage can learn the skill, no rp reason given or anything" was defiantly on my DO NOT WANT list.

Note that limitation was only for pc tonberrys again because of above reason.

Back to purpose:
The final fantasy 11 version had tonberrys of those 4 jobs. (Summoner/ Ninja / Thief / Blackmage) so I was trying to take skills they gave them into here (I could apply that as a racial requirement as a balancer I suppose) , I wanted them to have a bit of wiggle room for those pesky jobs that should have preferences but don't *I'm looken at you SAGE!!!!*
So its a little more forgiving, but not necessary.

Example of that is burmecian beast master combo. This was sort like that as intended.
(IT doesn't really cause much harm to have a weapon focus dagger or club to me anyway)

Now onto the next point:
"You can't sunder a part of a body"

Actualllyyyy, yes you can, this agian was a old dnd mechanic , however this is also in pathfinder: for rule's look here.

"http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/called-shots"

Racial Stats
-2 to intimate:
(Simple: Every player when first seeing a tonberry think's its cute, and harmless, and slow, and stupid.) That was reflect that habit. It was also a way to balance the skills that are based off the intimidate skill. (example already used mechanic of this is varg on diplomacy)

Can be adjusted it was just a flavor and a balance mechanic can be removed.

Esuna:
"Also, Esuna only works on effects of Spell level 3 or lower, and Vil has ruled abilities gained from a class or race that aren't explicitly stated as a certain level count as spell level 1/2 HD or Class Levels(rounded down), so Esuna wouldn't work on any of these past Tonberry ECL 7(as at ECL 8 it would count as a 4th level spell)."

Don't see this on site or change logs, vlad your snoozen on the job.

Base movement:
15 feet, agian this goes into the flavor of the tonberry, example of this is ff7 where they take forever to get to your side of the field outside any other monster.

Only things that seem to have 15 foot is while "burrowing" or "swimming".

This was also intended as a counter balance to the tonberry having high melee moves. Can be given to 20 , but kinda kills the flavor and vibe of tonberrys, but I can conseed I suppose.

Lantern and Knife
This was a biggy: Agian 3.5 at the time I made it. There was a flaw called "comfort object" that granted a bonus feat.

This was also an attempt at balancing and flavor.
Example of this is the moogles "bon bon" that was written in some 3.5 fan based content.

Cost for replacing was kinda to represent the same as a chocobo knight losing their mount, it was a bit heavy but gave the pcs an opportunity to kind of make it an easier fight and balance the tonberry's out. IE: Has room to be adjusted changed and what not.

(My group hates "immune to all status effects and everything being fort save ahemm..) So this was more a strike of balance.

Racial Restictions on alignment:
*points at vlad his tonberry descriptor*

Armor:
Their a turtle, and most cloth give no +ac to begin with. Agian wiggle room, just putting that out there.

Racial mods: +2 stealth
Was because they were intended to be medium, can be removed and made to be like small.

Special Abilitys:
1 bonus feat every 4

Reason: Because they don't have the other thing because that didn't exist yet.
Those bonus to job trait things. Even then, its reconized by pathfinder in the traits page, that 2 traits is = to 1 feat. So actually thats balanced and you guys are op on that one.

"http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits"

"Gaining Traits

When you create your character for a campaign, ask your GM how many traits you can select. In most cases, a new PC should gain two traits, effectively gaining what amounts to a bonus feat at character creation. Some GMs may wish to adjust this number somewhat, depending upon their style of play; you may only be able to pick one trait, or your GM might allow three or more. Even if your GM normally doesn’t allow bonus traits, you might still be able to pick up some with the Additional Traits feat."

So kinda just saying there is fair precedent to have that, can be adjusted, and arguments about the skills becoming a feat is fine too, just saying that isn't too far fetched.

Making a tonberry be a modified level thing.
1/2 and so on.

My players have had yes and no's to that, they want the dc's lowered but were mixed about progression.
As I'll be looking at a rework at it tomorrow,when I wake up.
I'll try to take a whack at making it a bit more restrictive, skill rewordings, and go from there.
It might need to be a 1/2 race but no idea.

Anyway its 5:24 am and i need to pass out, lol :p.

Messages In This Thread
Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by Fatal Rose - 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by Viladin - 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 09:53 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 10:09 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 11:08 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by Viladin - 07-23-2014, 11:36 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by dairius_chi - 07-24-2014, 12:56 AM