Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tonberry Race: Rough Draft:
...alright the issue here is NPC/Monster Tonberries and PC Tonberries should NOT be built the same way. Ones in the wild should be XHD creatures with a slew of special abilities, PC Tonberries chose to live among the more intelligent races and lost some of what makes them one of the more feared creatures in FF.

I don't know what FF11 'balance' or 'vibe' means beyond backstory and lore, but what you have right now doesn't work alongside standard FFd20 or Pathfinder in general- which FFd20 uses as its core system.

To help you along I will address each issue separately... first off save DCs or stuff should be using half character level, the Assassin archetype(FFd20) and PrC(for PF) both have something that works the same way and neither would ever reach that DC. It doesn't even have the issue such an ability in a class has that multiclassing lowers your DC overall, this is based off pure HD... so yeah, half is how you'll have to go about it for EVERY ability to stay in line with how racial abilities work.

Also, Esuna only works on effects of Spell level 3 or lower, and Vil has ruled abilities gained from a class or race that aren't explicitly stated as a certain level count as spell level 1/2 HD or Class Levels(rounded down), so Esuna wouldn't work on any of these past Tonberry ECL 7(as at ECL 8 it would count as a 4th level spell).

Small Aberrational Humanoid, not a race or subtype... you'd either have to make it Humanoid(Aberration) or just straight Aberration, if it's the latter there are some racial traits you'd have to look over and take into account so Humanoid(Aberration) is probably the easier way to go. Could also just call it Humanoid(Tonberry), really.

Base Land Speed 15, to my knowledge no PF races have this. Closest is Slow and Steady (20ft, not slowed by armor or encumbrance).

Stats: +4 Con/-4 Cha... not really a stat template for making races that matches this, but not impossible to manage. Overall seems fine.

Skill Mods: -2 Intimidate? I don't see it. If Gnomes and Halflings and Fairies don't take a racial penalty I don't get why a Tonberry should. Let's face it if they existed stories WOULD be told about them and everyone would know 'this is a monster, no wait- This is a fracking TONBERRY!'
+2 Stealth? Not necessary since they get +4 for being small, don't give them too many bonuses. I think it's best to scrap skill mods entirely.

Bonus Feats: Weapon Focus(weapon of choice) and TWO others? No, just no. No 0HD PC race gets 3 bonus feats, this is non-negotiable. Weapon Focus I could see fitting, I guess.

Weapon Prof: Knives and Clubs. Some races get proficiency with certain weapons, but these are both simple- every class besides Monk is going to be proficient with those. This is unnecessary.

Favored Class: Look fine, not sure why Summoner but I didn't play much of 11 so eh.

Languages: Just give them Tonberry language if they're meant to have another one, no existing ones that would match it to my knowledge.

Comfort Objects: First instance of 'good for monster, not for PC'. PC races can have flaws sure but this is overdoing it.

Effects: The cost to replace the knife is way too much. For monsters I'd just say 'can't be sundered', for PCs limiting them to a single weapon is out of the question. Playable races don't work that way.

Lantern: This actually seems okay I guess, an interesting racial tidbit. The penalties for not having it no but just the idea of a special lantern that oddly works for longer- I'd go a step further. A racial trait that gives then an eternal Lantern, never has to be fueled, never runs out, oddly produces no heat, and can be turned off or on as a Standard Action.

Racial Restrictions: Again, no. Monsters it's fine but for a race a PC is going to play there are 'suggested' or 'common' alignments, none entirely disallowed.

Armor: No. Monsters yes, Playable Races no. Even races in DnD that had trouble wearing armor due to body spines or something simply had to pay double the base cost to have some fitted for them. There's nothing about a Tonberry PC that should force them to only wear cloth armor outside of class and preference.

Special Abilities: Dear Aeons... the option of another free feat every 4 levels? Power of abilities aside this is just ludicrous. No, no feats, some of these MIGHT be able to work as racial traits, the rest should only be obtainable for PC Tonberries as racial feats. Look at the Mandragora's spell-like abilities and racial feats for a good idea on how to handle those.

Doink!: 1/day/character level attack dealing 10-80 damage? No. Since races aren't forced to use one weapon or another this should be limited to NPC Tonberries alone. As far as how it works... Full-Round, no penalty, attack deals double damage (sneak attack dice maximized, not doubled). Usable 3/day for standard monster Tonberries, maybe additional for some of the 'higher tier' or if you're making a King Tonberry NPC.

Chef Knife: Number of uses don't seem bad, again it relies on a specific weapon so it should be limited to the NPC/Monster Tonberries. DC isn't outrageous, caps out at 21 by 20th HD, but you should specify it takes a Standard Action otherwise nothing stopping a wild Tonberry from using 2-4 of them in a single full-attack.

Everyone's Grudge: As a monster ability this seems fine, though having it be usable infinitely is a bit much. I'd suggest limiting it to 1/target/day, or just give them a pool of 5-6 uses, with more for higher tiered Tonberries. THis is one that could work for Tonberries, but not from 1st level. Racial Feat requiring character level 7+ and being a Tonberry, usable 1/day but can be taken multiple times.

Tonberry's Rage: Immediate Action that just deals the damage taken from a single attack/instance, no piling it up for more damage. Usable 3/day for standard Monster Tonberries, 1/day for PC Tonberries through a racial feat (no level req). 'Extra Tonberry's Rage' could be a feat with level 7+ that gives 2 extra uses, can only be taken once.

Throat Stab: NPC/Monster Tonberries with this seems fine, though as I suggested simply giving them racial HD also throwing on Sneak Attack +2d6 for regular Tonberries could work. DC needs to be changed, as you've been told and admitted to (not sure why you fought for it so long if that is the case, but regardless), the duration on paralysis should also be lowered to +1 round/2 HD. This one can be worked to affect other weapons, I guess, but requires Sneak Attack so it would probably be best to just have Thief Tonberries take the Death Attack Advanced Thief/Rogue talent.

Vertical Slash: Permanent Blindness is serious business, and on an ability with multiple uses/day? Nah, even for monster Tonberries I'd say only 1/day, and has to be on a foe that is denied their dex or flanked. Blindness lasting 1 round/2 HD is enough for a battle. I seriously doubt in FF11 there's a monster that can permanently blind your character/avatar. With the power drop this COULD work for Players but I'd suggest simply making it a racial Advanced Thief Talent that only Tonberries can take.

Also having it work of Sunder? No, you don't Sunder a body part. This would just be an attack roll, if anything with a -5 penalty as hitting their eyes is a hard target. With the duration drop I might consider it not allowing a save being okay, but I'd really feel better if it had a fort 10+1/2 HD or class level(for Thief Talent) + Int modifier

Lateral Slash: Same deal as above, though for monsters I could see this being fine at 3/day for standard Tonberries. There's already a Thief Talent I wanna say that lowers movement speed for X rounds on a Sneak Attack, so just use that for PC.

Light of Penance: Uh... for monsters I guess this could work. The part about casters though, just drop it. Maybe add something where 'when using Light of Penance the Tonberry gets to make a free Intimidate check against all foes within 60ft' so when they use it they can shaken a few people, but chance of Panick seems a bit much. Not for PC Tonberries. For monsters having it just be 1/day is enough.

Sigh: If I'm reading this right, since it increases your dex MOD it basically gives you 2-12 Dexterity. No. Giving them a rage-like ability with rounds equal to their HD + Con modifier is fine. +4 morale bonus to Dex for the duration, maybe even +10ft movement speed. When ended each round spent = 2 rounds fatigued. For PCs This could work as a feat, but I'd put it high up- like level 13-15+

Words of Bane: 1/day max, regardless of Tonberry tier (King Tonberry or equivalent maybe 2 or 3). DC should be Will 10 + 1/2 Tonberry HD + Int mod. You can't just change the formula from one ability to the next, this is Pathfinder, abilities are 'Con-based' means 10 + 1/2 HD + con mod, sometimes misc bonuses are applied. For instance, I put Int since all their other abilities run off it, if you were to change that to Charisma since it's intimidation based I'd say a +2 racial bonus to offset their cha penalty is fine. 5+skill mod? No.

Skill Focus, Persuasive (if not that whatever feat that gives +2 Intimidate), taking the trait Bruising Intellect (intimidate runs off Int instead of Cha), and let's say the minimum of 12 ranks. 12 + 0(cha mod, assuming no enhancement bonuses) + 3(class skill) + 6(skill focus doubled at ten ranks) + 4(other feat doubled at ten ranks) = 25, so Will save DC 30. I could see a DC 30 saving throw against something like an Elder Dragon's breath weapon, but monsters just don't get save DCs that high- it just doesn't work that way on a 12 HD creature.

Ritual Bind: 1/day for free on the higher tiers of Tonberries (as standard Tonberries shouldn't even get close to 15 HD), make it a 30ft radius, Save DCs are 10 + 1/2 HD + Int modifier for the same reason as Words of Bane. Even the free Throat Stab doesn't feel too bad since this is FF and occasional deaths should happen, especially against something with 15 HD. But if you send a group with 3 or 4 Tonberries that can do this, you are GMing wrong.

To be frank, you didn't make anything that's really workable as a race. Bits and pieces on their own are fine but you HAVE to become uniform with how other races work if you expect this to be 'fair' or 'balanced'. Normally I'm against having a 'Monster' and 'PC' version of the same thing but it's the only way I can think of to make what you're trying to achieve even possible. PC races just don't do the things you're trying to push for, neither do monsters on most of it but creative liberties.

I don't claim to be 100% correct on absolutely everything I said but I do have a good knowledge of the PF system and even FFd20 despite forgetting how certain class features work from time to time. My way might not be the best but it's a step up from what you've got so far. Please do take my suggestions into consideration, but ultimately... Tonberries as a PC race feels like a tall order to fill. You will have to sacrifice some of the lore or feel of a Tonberry to make it work as a PC. Maybe you'll have players that run cloth armor Thieves, that would be awesome, but it shouldn't be forced on them.

Messages In This Thread
Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by Fatal Rose - 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by Viladin - 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 09:53 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 10:09 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 11:08 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by Viladin - 07-23-2014, 11:36 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by kenki - 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM
RE: Tonberry Race: Rough Draft: - by dairius_chi - 07-24-2014, 12:56 AM