Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Fantasy d20 Virtual Tabletop via Maptool (WIP)
(05-08-2013, 01:35 PM)Viladin Wrote: I liked Maptools, but I thought development was no more.

It's definitely slowed down, but it's not dead. Build 89 released just this past month, which was a major (and long overdue) upgrade in supporting Java 7. I haven't used it extensively yet, but it is a stable release.

There's also been talk of doing a complete overhaul to Maptools itself to improve visual appearance and performance. Maptool 2.0, basically.

I think Maptool's biggest killers is that there's now a flood of other VT options out there. All the ones I've found have monetary backing of some sort, but that doesn't seem to stop them in surpassing Maptool's fanbase. It's understandable as to why. Maptool is open-sourced liscensing, so it will always be free. With no money, comes no advertising (unless some renowned blogger plugs it) and a rate of development based on it's actively contributing userbase which is usually slow anyway.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy d20 Virtual Tabletop via Maptool (WIP) - by Tsriel - 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM