Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why only one materia slot for weapon, armor, and shield? Possible Alternative.
Either that, or remove enchantments all together?

I've always found the +1, +2, +3, +4 or +5 weapon/armor to be an archaic motif of 3rd edition that didn't really work very well, especially because of things like DR 5/+2, meaning you had to have a +2 to weapon just to bypass that DR.

Then replace the weapon enchantment scheme of +1 with Materias that provide equal bonuses.

Imagine a materia that turns your weapon into a flametongue, instead of you just having to buy specifically the flametongue that's always specifically a longsword. Now, you can have a legendary materia that levels, provides enhancement bonuses, and cool, scaling effect of flametongue instead of just a static flametongue.

What if all of the basic spell materia that are affixed to weapons and provide elemental damage just inherently provide a +1 enchantment bonus? Or perhaps a +1/+2/+3 upon leveling.

No more enchanting swords, no more masterwork, no more arbitrary rules about how it somehow needs the +1 before you can apply the flaming quality. Most of the magic item creation rules in D&D 3.5/pathfinder are broken and not very great. I honestly feel like trying to blend both of them together is asking for an unbalanced/broken character or weapon or mechanic. Though, for me, there's never really been such a thing as balance in a game this complex. It's not something that I feel needs to be worried about too much.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why only one materia slot for weapon, armor, and shield? Possible Alternative. - by MeecesPieces - 03-20-2019, 11:21 AM