Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting Pathfinder modules to FFD20
Howdy; my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but it kinda looked like this section was the best place to post this sort of thing.

As a relatively inexperienced and lazy GM, it probably wasn't a good idea to use a non-standard game, but I really like the system, classes, and setting. I've been trying to use existing modules and premade NPCs, and while it kinda works, I've run into some pain points. Has anyone come up with a system/guide for converting Pathfinder content to FFD20? (I figure that's really all we need, since there are conversion guides to convert other stuff to Pathfinder, though 5e to Pathfinder is one of the big missing ones). Some pain points I've noticed:

Converting Classes:
There are some that seem to be directly carried over from Pathfinder, but there are also some significant difference, particularly for spellcasters, as all the spells are different. Any premade PCs I generally just make a best guess in replacements, and NPCs I generally just use straight and add my own limit breaks on the fly if they happen to be in that situation, though my players sometimes pick up on the discrepancies between pathfinder and FFD20 classes during play, and it is a little awkward. Feats, skills, and stats naturally don't seem to require any changes, from what I can tell, except for MP, which is relatively straightforward to figure out.

Converting Monsters:
I generally just use Pathfinder monsters with no conversion; is that generally wise, or are pathfinder monsters underpowered in some way? I imagine this might run into some issues if you have a blue mage in your group, which thankfully I don't have to worry about.

Converting items:
Again, I generally just use Pathfinder items with no conversion. I'm fairly confident this is okay, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Converting Races:
This is probably the hardest thing for me, as only Humes, Elvaan, and Dwarves are shared from Pathfinder. As far as I can tell, those races are pretty much exactly like Pathfinder's versions, but I haven't found that there's any obvious similar classes for other races, and this seems to be the most incompatible thing, and I find I can't really use NPCs of races not of the three listed above without some story or mechanical issues. This is the one I'd like the most advice on.

Converting setting:
I don't actually worry about this, since story is the easiest thing to use without conversion and can be more easily altered, and it also depends on what you're doing anyway, but I figure I would include it to be complete.

This post is mostly made to determine if someone already has a conversion guide they're willing to share, but if there isn't it might be good for the community to have a conversion guide, so we can take advantage of modules and campaigns that already exist; I may even put some time at some point into starting a guide, if there does not in fact seem to be one.

Also, if this has already been addressed, my apologies, a search for "convert" and "conversion" did not find any thread on the subject in the forums.

Messages In This Thread
Converting Pathfinder modules to FFD20 - by _glook - 10-09-2017, 06:54 PM