Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some questions, gonna update here and there as I go
You are correct, the last time I looked at Explosive Missile was very shortly after Firearm rules became more prominent so chances are it hadn't been updated for that- so Alchemical Bullet and Grenade Gun's other benefit is that it can be used for 2-Handed Firearms, and for non-bomb Alchemical Items you can craft the special bullets ahead of time.

Personally, I like the idea of Alchemist's Fire Shotgun Shells, Incendiary rounds. With Grenade Gun they once again count as Splash weapons and deal Int mod to damage, so with Buckshot you can cover a cone with 2d8+2 plus 1d4+5(assuming 18 Int) for the cost of one shell and 1.67gil(can craft 3 Alchemist Fires for 5 gil). Being able to double-up on items is nice too, could go for a double dose of Fire (2d4+10) or splice some Acid Flask in there for 2 types of Energy damage.

And, since you can in fact crit with Splash Weapons, a crit with the Firearm leads to a multiplication on the energy damage(though, as with Spellstrike from Magus/Red Mage, chances are the Energy Damage would only ever double rather than matching the weapon's multiplier).

Yeah, you need Gunsmithing to craft Bullets and Firearms, so it's a bit of a feat tax but they are really some of the best ranged weapons in the game (at least the ones Vil is using, notsomuch the base PF Firearms). I'd advise against the Blue Mage dip, since you're already splitting your Chemist and Technomancer Features, adding a couple caster levels will likely just end up muddling things.

Just stick to targeting creatures your allies haven't engaged yet, or if dealing with very large creatures, target a square none of your allies are adjacent to, no need for Precise Shot when they take up half the map usually.

Messages In This Thread
RE: some questions, gonna update here and there as I go - by dairius_chi - 05-20-2015, 12:18 PM