Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pathfinder Conversions done so far:
I know I've been slacking this past week. So here's all the base classes I've done so far (minus Gunner, Chocobo Knight, and Summoner):

Archer
Bard
Beastmaster
Black Mage
Blue Mage
Chemist
Dark Knight
Dragoon
Engineer
Fighter
Holy Knight
Knight
Monk
Necromancer
Red Mage
Thief
White Mage

Some classes got minor to no changes besides HPs and Skill Points. A couple got a few changes like Monk and Knight.
Also moved the races to Pathfinder folder.

Dwarf
Hume
Elvaan
Mithra finished. Sorry I'm going about this slowly. Its very tedious and I usually don't have much time.

Mithra
Hey,

I don't see any difference between these Pathfinder conversions and the earlier classes. For instance, the Holy Knight looks exactly the same. What am I missing?

Also, I don't think there is need for a Pathfinder conversion AND a normal d20 one. Just use the d20 OGL rules and make whatever class you want, without concern for needing to balance it out with D&D 3.5e or Pathfinder material.

Lastly, could you at least consider revising the HK and DK classes (again, I know!) to include Sword Techs starting from level 1 instead level 5, and powering them up, because they were very powerful in the video games? To balance it out you can remove white magic spells and other paladin type stuff like smite and lay on hands, etc. The HK was always a full on offensive class, unlike the Paladin which has always been defensive.
I'm not going to say yay or nay on the matter of sword techs at level 1, but I'd like to say that despite the designers best efforts, the Paladin has always been an offensive class. In 3.5 this was because the Paladin simply had difficulty filling any other role than DPR effectively. In Pathfinder the Paladin got kicked up a notch and can fulfill multiple roles, but in the end that smite still gives them up to +20 multiplicative damage and the ability to get a horse and lance.

Charge-adin, ho!

On smite: I'm not terribly attached to it, so I'd have nothing to say if the DM decided to replace smite with sword techs. Nor do I mind keeping it as-is.
(03-03-2013, 03:43 AM)Alpha Stryke Wrote: Hey,

I don't see any difference between these Pathfinder conversions and the earlier classes. For instance, the Holy Knight looks exactly the same. What am I missing?

Some of the classes already took inspiration from the Pathfinder materials. As such, certain classes didn't need require any alterations to allow for them to fit within the Pathfinder OGC.

(03-03-2013, 03:43 AM)Alpha Stryke Wrote: Also, I don't think there is need for a Pathfinder conversion AND a normal d20 one. Just use the d20 OGL rules and make whatever class you want, without concern for needing to balance it out with D&D 3.5e or Pathfinder material.

The material is balanced against these existing materials because it gives a basis to start out with. You have to remember, ripping Final Fantasy material straight from the game and sticking it into a table-top environment simply won't work. They are two different kinds of games with different rules and gameplay elements to consider. Are the classes going to be similar to what exists in the Pathfinder? Surely, but why try and re-invent the wheel when most of the existing material actually portrays the FF abilities rather well.

Also, I'm quite positive that the Pathfinder version, when completed, will be the main version of this fan-game with the D&D 3.5 materials still hanging around for those who would prefer them.

(03-03-2013, 03:43 AM)Alpha Stryke Wrote: Lastly, could you at least consider revising the HK and DK classes (again, I know!) to include Sword Techs starting from level 1 instead level 5, and powering them up, because they were very powerful in the video games? To balance it out you can remove white magic spells and other paladin type stuff like smite and lay on hands, etc. The HK was always a full on offensive class, unlike the Paladin which has always been defensive.

Call me traditional, but I feel that removing White Magic from a Paladin would be removing one of their notable abilities. Admittedly, Sword Techs aren't so much a Paladin ability as they were a Holy Knight (Final Fantasy Tactics)/Divine Knight ability. In regards to FFd20, they used to belong to the Divine Knight prestige class before Viladin decided to drop it and move the abilities to the Paladin.

If you want to portray more of a Divine Knight, talk with your GM or, if you are the GM, you are free to adjust the classes to your liking. Remember, the classes in this system are an amalgamation of the different instances of a class (or similar classes) throughout all of Final Fantasy.
The Holy Knight in FFT was completely different than the Paladin class of Final Fantasy and D&D. It was full on offensive. There was no bodyguard ability, no self healing, no mounts, no spells and no connection with the divine. Delita was an evil Holy Knight, and he certainly did not have his powers stripped by anyone.

Thus, since this great conversion of the HK in d20 is already more like Agrias Oaks than Cecil, why not go all the way and strip out all Paladin abilities altogether? There are more than enough abilities to make a new Paladin class which would satisfy fans of Cecil.

And ofcourse you cannot copy the exact numbers of the video game, where damage went into the hundreds if I recall correctly, but the trick is to relatively emulate that. So pumping up the Sword Techs, which is what the HK and DK was all about, is the key to that. In fact, make the class all about Sword Techs, and remove everything else including smites, spells, LoH, etc.

I can houserule it sure, but thing is many ppl including myself play online via pbp boards, and GMs there typically run with 'official' rules and don't houserule.
I'm not trying to sound rude, but if you want to play FF Tactics D20 then make your own class. If your GMs don't want to use house rules then that's not a problem with the system. At first I really disliked Spell Combat for the Pathfinder class the Magus but I didn't tell Paizo a bunch of times to change it into something else just because I didn't think it fit the image of "magic/melee guy" I had in my head.

I highly doubt Viladin is going to turn the Holy Knight into strictly the Tactics class as that would clash with the rest of the system which is, as ZeronosVega pointed out, supposed to be an amalgam of a bunch of different variations of the classes. The idea is the Holy Knight class is obviously supposed to emulate both the Holy Knights from Tactics and Paladins like Cecil and the ones from XI. If you don't like the spells or LoH then don't use them, I've seen guys go entire campaigns without using their Paladin's spells except outside of combat in D&D games before. I'll admit, I don't like the Smite or LoH even for the Cecil style Paladin so if those could be exchanged for something else then I guess that would be fine(Spells should always stay as to keep the Cecil/FF XI feel that it's meant to have) but Viladin already does a lot of work on this system ad I'm not about to ask him to completely change a class.

A thought does come to mind though, since Viladin is converting to Pathfinder why don't you see about making a Holy Knight Archetype that trades some things like Smite and LoH for more Tactics style stuff? Might be easier than asking Viladin to change an entire base class. That's the glory of Archetypes, they can solve a lot of problems.

On that note, Archetypes/Alternate Classes could theoretically remove the whole need for prestige classes in this system. Some of the Prestige Classes could just be modified into Archetypes, like Samurai being a Fighter Archetype maybe, or Ninja being a Thief Archetype. Just a thought that came to me during this.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
I had a similar thought, thus the Gun Mage and Magitek Operator archetypes.

I think a tactics style holy knight/dark knight would work really well with archetypes. I likely won't make them, however, as I rarely played tactics.