Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monsterkin Questions
I am a big fan of playing races who emulate monsters, hence blue mage being one of my favorite classes, and so the Monsterkin archtype of Freelancer interests me. But there are a few things vague about it that I would be interested in clarifications on.

1: Limit Breaks. If you take a monster type and or subtype, do you still get the free limit break? And if you do are you unable to get more?

2: Also related to type/subtype, I'll take aberration as an example, they are:
  • Proficient with its natural weapons. If generally humanoid in form, proficient with all simple weapons and any weapon it is described as using.
  • Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Aberrations not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Aberrations are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Does that mean an aberration monsterkin is only proficient in simple weapons, light armor, and shields, or do they get any starting weapons and armor as well?

3: Spell-Like abilities. First off, does anything in FFD20 besides Pheonix Spawn have a spell like ability? Second, how do you determine your casting stat, or do you just decide at level 1 one of your mental stats?

4: Feats. Are you allowed to take monster feats with your 10JP bonus feats?

And a few semi-related questions about Vargs, is there a reason they need to use a feat to increase to normal damage for your size with your bite attack? And if you increase in size, does your bite attack increase in damage? For my monsterkin hive Aberration varg, I used my 10 remaining JP to get that feat, plus the level 1 feat to increase it, so I made it work, just curious on that design choice.
(04-16-2019, 05:14 PM)Draconm Wrote: I am a big fan of playing races who emulate monsters, hence blue mage being one of my favorite classes, and so the Monsterkin archtype of Freelancer interests me. But there are a few things vague about it that I would be interested in clarifications on.

1: Limit Breaks. If you take a monster type and or subtype, do you still get the free limit break? And if you do are you unable to get more?

2: Also related to type/subtype, I'll take aberration as an example, they are:
  • Proficient with its natural weapons. If generally humanoid in form, proficient with all simple weapons and any weapon it is described as using.
  • Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Aberrations not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Aberrations are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Does that mean an aberration monsterkin is only proficient in simple weapons, light armor, and shields, or do they get any starting weapons and armor as well?

3: Spell-Like abilities. First off, does anything in FFD20 besides Pheonix Spawn have a spell like ability? Second, how do you determine your casting stat, or do you just decide at level 1 one of your mental stats?

4: Feats. Are you allowed to take monster feats with your 10JP bonus feats?

And a few semi-related questions about Vargs, is there a reason they need to use a feat to increase to normal damage for your size with your bite attack? And if you increase in size, does your bite attack increase in damage? For my monsterkin hive Aberration varg, I used my 10 remaining JP to get that feat, plus the level 1 feat to increase it, so I made it work, just curious on that design choice.

1. You do not get the free limit break nor can you buy Limit Breaks if you take a monster type/subtype.

2. Your example, yes. They are only proficient with simple weapons, light armor, and shields.

3. I'm sure there's more, but you use the casting stat of whatever spell-like ability you bought it from.

4. Yes.

5. /shrug. Just saw how other PF races with bite attacks have it and so that's how far I designed Vargs. but yes, size increase increases bite damage.