Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There's Red and Blue, but why not Yellow?
This has always been a curiosity of mine, but have you ever wondered why there isn't a Yellow Mage? I guess it's because I see Red and Blue, and think of the primary colors. But, just to make for interesting discussion, if you were to design a Yellow Mage Job, what would it do?

One interpretation I've seen of a Yellow Mage is through the Final Fantasy Tactics A3 project, found here. In it, Yellow Mages gain their abilities by copying from the "enlightened races" instead of monsters a la Blue Mage.

Anyway, feel free to discuss.
Funny, I rarely associate yellow as being part of the "triad of colors". More often I put green as the third color which I think is the more common thing. I'm not sure what a "Yellow Mage" could do as the magic types are covered by the other classes. White=Healz, Black=Blaster, Red=Both, Blue=Enemies and Green from Tactics=Buff and Debuff.

Not a lot of room for a "Yellow Mage" to do anything. Copying from the "enlightened races" is an...interesting take I suppose though it seems more like something a specific branch of Blue Mages could do.

If I had to make one...I don't know...as I said earlier in Final Fantasy all the magic types are pretty covered by the existing mage classes so adding a new one doesn't seem like it would work very well.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
As I said, I think of Yellow only because it is one of the three primary colors. Besides that, we also notice that Red and Blue are considered unique mages in that they embody different philosophies from White and Black mages. Red, being the Jack-of-all-Trades and Blue, with the ability to learn from animals/creatures.

While there is Green in both Tactics Advance and FFXII, it's more of a specialization of certain White/Black magics (Buff/Debuff). If there were to be a Yellow Mage, I feel that it would need to be unique. While the idea from FFTA3 is great for that specific game, it would have severe limitations in other games/universes. It's basically a skill-stealer, but with limitations.

In order to do this, I believe we need to examine all aspects of magic and find areas which don't particularly have a lot of focus.
If any color mage should get its own spotlight than the 4 already mentioned, it should be Green Mages.
(01-11-2013, 06:38 PM)Viladin Wrote: If any color mage should get its own spotlight than the 4 already mentioned, it should be Green Mages.
It's true, they aren't nearly as popular as the other color mages. Though, I attest that to their specialization, which is generally more restrictive than some of the others and not always sought after in parties.
My first thought is that a Yellow mage would use Lightning and somehow link their magic with technology. Sort of like Artificers in the Eberron campaign setting in DnD. Though Final Fantasy d20 has the Engineer class which handles that.

Otherwise... I can't really think of any unique and good sort of combat oriented mage type. Maybe yellow mages focus on some sort of non-combat magic? Like charging up magical batteries, using all the "double money", and "double exp" boosts, and maybe teleporting people outside of battle.

The "yellow" could signify that they prefer to avoid fighting and are only in it for the money.
(04-27-2013, 01:58 PM)Randel Wrote: My first thought is that a Yellow mage would use Lightning and somehow link their magic with technology. Sort of like Artificers in the Eberron campaign setting in DnD. Though Final Fantasy d20 has the Engineer class which handles that.

Otherwise... I can't really think of any unique and good sort of combat oriented mage type. Maybe yellow mages focus on some sort of non-combat magic? Like charging up magical batteries, using all the "double money", and "double exp" boosts, and maybe teleporting people outside of battle.

The "yellow" could signify that they prefer to avoid fighting and are only in it for the money.

Or... we go way off base, and base the Mages on Lantern Corps! >.>
You might propose that Yellow Mage be an alternate name for something else. The Summoner, for example, or Mime. I wonder if Mime could use an update? Haven't checked it in a while. Hmmm.

As far as Green Magic goes, I wonder if there could be a Green Mage archetype that fits both White Mage and Black Mage classes and grants limited enhancing/enfeebling spells from the opposing class?
(04-27-2013, 05:46 PM)Nihilarian Wrote: You might propose that Yellow Mage be an alternate name for something else. The Summoner, for example, or Mime. I wonder if Mime could use an update? Haven't checked it in a while. Hmmm.

As far as Green Magic goes, I wonder if there could be a Green Mage archetype that fits both White Mage and Black Mage classes and grants limited enhancing/enfeebling spells from the opposing class?

Tbh, from what I've seen both the White Mage and the Black Mage spell lists include a fair amount of both enhancing and enfeebling spells, so I think the current Green Mage works alright with both (and also with Blue Mages, perhaps even better for them!).
I have thought about bringing in Illusion spells and maybe make the Yellow Mage as the official Illusionist class.
Do you even have any illusion spells in the system? I'm not sure.

I could see that getting it's own class. Kinda like the beguiler, but with actual class features.
(04-28-2013, 08:49 AM)Nihilarian Wrote: Do you even have any illusion spells in the system? I'm not sure.

I could see that getting it's own class. Kinda like the beguiler, but with actual class features.

Vanish, I think, is the only spell, but I have it as an Enhancing spell.
(04-28-2013, 07:39 AM)Viladin Wrote: I have thought about bringing in Illusion spells and maybe make the Yellow Mage as the official Illusionist class.

Best idea I've read yet. Personally, haven't ever played a Yellow Mage, but the ruleset is definitely missing an illusionist niche.
(04-28-2013, 07:39 AM)Viladin Wrote: I have thought about bringing in Illusion spells and maybe make the Yellow Mage as the official Illusionist class.

So, Yellow Mage being the base class and maybe Illusionist as a prestige?
I'm going to be honest, I don't really like "Yellow Mage" as an official name. Seems more like a nickname they'd give to illusionists.
What about Gold Mage? I've noticed that all the colours chosen for mage schools all have monosyllabic names, so why buck the trend?
If you have any criticisms or points you wish to raise with me, please let me know. It is only through knowing how I fail that I can eventually succeed.