Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Freelancer
This might just be me being silly, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around what counts as 'improving by level' with Freelancer. The way I initially thought it worked seemed wrong when I looked at other peoples' threads on the matter! Previously I thought Talents would be scaling, and you'd need 20 for the 1st and be requires to spend 10 with each acquisition after. Now I know those are 10 each.

But for the rest, can someone correct me whether or not I'm looking at these appropriately?

Using Illusionist as an example... 

I imagine Veil Pool would be treated as scaling. 20 points at 1st, 10 at 5th, etc.?
Haze, scaling? 20 at 3rd, 10 at 5th/7th/etc.?
Veil Powers, 10 points for each?
Quick Veil. This one I'm uncertain on. 20 at 7th, 10 at 14th?

Or Dragoon...

Jump, scaling? 20 at 1st, 10 at 4th/11th/18th?

---

I have another question regarding purchasing Archetype abilities, too. Do you spend the points on the archetype's ability directly, or do you buy its trade-offs (whether it requires one or more class features) from the base class, then trade them off?

Thank you for your help! I feel like I'm just having a silly mental block here, I'm sure it's just me.
(06-29-2018, 06:51 AM)Meep Wrote: This might just be me being silly, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around what counts as 'improving by level' with Freelancer. The way I initially thought it worked seemed wrong when I looked at other peoples' threads on the matter! Previously I thought Talents would be scaling, and you'd need 20 for the 1st and be requires to spend 10 with each acquisition after. Now I know those are 10 each.

But for the rest, can someone correct me whether or not I'm looking at these appropriately?

Using Illusionist as an example... 

I imagine Veil Pool would be treated as scaling. 20 points at 1st, 10 at 5th, etc.?
Haze, scaling? 20 at 3rd, 10 at 5th/7th/etc.?
Veil Powers, 10 points for each?
Quick Veil. This one I'm uncertain on. 20 at 7th, 10 at 14th?

Or Dragoon...

Jump, scaling? 20 at 1st, 10 at 4th/11th/18th?

---

I have another question regarding purchasing Archetype abilities, too. Do you spend the points on the archetype's ability directly, or do you buy its trade-offs (whether it requires one or more class features) from the base class, then trade them off?

Thank you for your help! I feel like I'm just having a silly mental block here, I'm sure it's just me.

Yes to all the examples.

Archetypes, you buy them directly

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the quick reply.
One more question hopped to mind. Is the Freelancer, on acquiring an ability, required to buy it through to completion? With the initial example: if they picked up Jump, are they also required to purchase the upgrades at each appropriate level, or can they stop at a point of their choosing when they wish?
(06-29-2018, 06:52 PM)Meep Wrote: One more question hopped to mind. Is the Freelancer, on acquiring an ability, required to buy it through to completion? With the initial example: if they picked up Jump, are they also required to purchase the upgrades at each appropriate level, or can they stop at a point of their choosing when they wish?

Have to buy it through to completion.

Decided to hop into this thread instead of opening a new one, I have some similar questions about point costs and advancements in freelancer! I am curious about what is considered 'level scaling' in some situations - specifically, the Abyssal Knight's Darkside ability! Is this 20 points at 1, and then 10 more at 4, 7, 10, etc when he gains additional uses per day?
(07-09-2018, 05:26 AM)IanMcClaren Wrote: Decided to hop into this thread instead of opening a new one, I have some similar questions about point costs and advancements in freelancer! I am curious about what is considered 'level scaling' in some situations - specifically, the Abyssal Knight's Darkside ability! Is this 20 points at 1, and then 10 more at 4, 7, 10, etc when he gains additional uses per day?

Darkside would only cost 10. Additional use abilities are not level scaling.