Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingdom Hearts Feats and Keyblades
So I'm Currently running a Kingdom Hearts Themed Campaign with some friends, and I decided to homebrew some Feats and the way Keyblades could work in FFD20.

On the Keyblade side of things I drew some inspiration from Cheezez earlier work on this sort of thing: http://forums.finalfantasyd20.com/showth...dom+Hearts

I also wrote a number of Accompanying Feats, including Combat Style feats designed to mimic some of the Command Styles found in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of it, so I'm posting it here:

Keyblade Stats: 
Standard Keyblade (1 Handed, Exotic Weapon) 
Melee 1d10, 19-20/x2, Slashing or Bludgeoning (User’s Choice) 
Can be treated as a martial weapon when wielded with two hands. 
Keychain Base Cost: TBD 

Power Keyblade (2 Handed, Exotic Weapon) 
Melee 2d6, 19-20/x2, Slashing or Bludgeoning (User’s Choice) 

Finesse Keyblade (1 Handed, Exotic Weapon) 
Melee 1d6, 19-20/x2, Slashing or Bludgeoning (User’s Choice) 
Is treated as a light weapon for the purposes of feats like Two-Weapon Fighting. 

Magic Keyblade (1 Handed, Exotic Weapon) 
Ranged (30ft.) 1d6, x2, Elemental Damage or Non-Elemental Damage 

Special Qualities of Keyblades: 
When you gain the ability to wield a keyblade, you choose its base form from the Keyblade Types listed above. That becomes the form it will take when no keychains are attached to it. 
After acquiring a keyblade, you automatically gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Keyblade) on your next level up. 

Keychains: 
Keychains are special attachments for keyblades that alter their form and properties. Keychains always have a default keyblade form, selected from those listed above. They can be enchanted in the same way as a masterwork weapon. They also imbue the keyblade with the qualities of the material they are made from, if they are made from any special materials. 
When a Keychain is attached to a Keyblade, that keyblade takes on the default form of the Keychain, and gains its enchantments. 
Keychains can be crafted using the same prices used for weapon crafting. 

Feats: 

Synch Blade (Combat) 
Prerequisites: Two-Weapon Fighting, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Keyblade) 
You have learned to call forth a second keyblade, and wield it in your off-hand effectively. 
Benefit: You may call a second keyblade to your off-hand. You may equip a keychain to your offhand keyblade, but it cannot be the same keychain you use for your main keyblade. You may transform your off-hand keyblade using the Unlock Transformation feat. 

Spellweaver (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Int 15 or Wis 15, MP Pool 
You have learned the basics of Spellweaver, a command style that blends magic with martial prowess. 
Benefit: You can spend 1 MP to fire an energy bolt from your weapon while making an attack. This bolt deals your weapon’s damage, and hits all targets in a 15ft. line in front of you. This attack counts as one of your attacks this round. 

Spellweaver: Magic Melee (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Spellweaver (Combat), Int or Wis 17 
Your proficiency with Spellweaver allows you to command your melee weapons from a distance. 
Benefit: You can spend 1 MP to attack an enemy within 20ft. as if they were within melee range. When you do this, you deal an additional 1d4 Non-Elemental Damage. 

Spellweaver: Finale (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Spellweaver: Magic Melee (Combat) 
Your mastery of Spellweaver allows you to end a combo with an area blast of magical energy. 
Benefit: You can spend 3 MP to replace the final attack you make in a full attack action with an AOE Explosion. When you do this, deal 2d6+Int or 2d6+Wis Non-Elemental Damage to all targets within 5ft. of you. 

Fever Pitch (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Dex 17 
You have learned the basics of Fever Pitch, a High-Speed Command Style that allows you to strike with incredible speed. 
Benefit: By taking a -2 Penalty to your attack rolls this turn, you may make an additional attack at your full BaB as part of an attack action. 

Fever Pitch: Dash (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Fever Pitch 
Your proficiency with Fever Pitch allows you to traverse the battlefield at a tremendous pace. While using this fighting style you gain a bonus 10ft. of Land Speed. 

Fever Pitch: Tri-Slash (Combat: Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Fever Pitch: Dash 
Your Mastery of Fever Pitch allows you to strike through an entire line of foes. 
Benefit: As an attack action, you may deal damage to all enemies in a 20ft. line starting at your current position, and then move yourself to the other end of that line (if the final space is occupied, instead move to the closest available space that is part of the line). This movement does not provoke an attack of Opportunity. 

Ghost Drive (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Int 15 or Wis 15, MP Pool 
You have learned the basics of Ghost Drive, a Lightning Fast command Style that utilises magic to greatly boost attack speed. 
Benefit: You may spend 1 MP to perform an extra attack at your full BaB as part of an attack action. You may only use this ability once per turn. 

Ghost Drive: Flash Step (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Ghost Drive (Combat), Int 17 or Wis 17. 
Your Proficiency with Ghost Drive allows you to warp short distances when making attacks or evading. 
Benefit: You may spend 1 MP to move to a space within 15ft, without provoking an attack of opportunity. This is treated as a move action. If you perform an attack immediately after using this ability, you deal an additional 1d6 + Int or Wis Non-Elemental Damage. 

Ghost Drive: Multi-Pierce (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Ghost Drive: Flash Step (Combat) 
Your Mastery of Ghost Drive allows you to move with incredible speed and precision. 
Benefit: Once per day you may warp to a point within 30ft. before making a full attack action. 

Dark Impulse (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Str or Con 15 
You have learned the basics of Dark Impulse, a command style that draws on your inner darkness to strengthen you. 
Benefit: You may take 1d4 Shadow Damage to enter Dark Mode, gaining Shadow Resist 10 and causing all of your melee attacks to deal Shadow Damage instead of their normal damage types. Dark mode lasts for 3+Con Rounds. At level 10 this becomes 5+Con Rounds. 

Dark Impulse: Shadow Step (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Str or Con 17, Dark Impulse (Combat) 
Your Proficiency with Dark Impulse allows you to use darkness to traverse short distances instantly. 
Benefit: While in Dark Mode, you may use your move action to instantly disappear and emerge from any shadow within 30ft. This becomes 60ft. at level 15. This provokes an attack of opportunity if you disappear within melee range of someone who knows you can do this. 

Dark Impulse: Chaos Claw (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Dark Impulse: Shadow Step (Combat) 
Your Mastery of Dark Impulse allows you to manifest a great claw formed from darkness, lashing out at foes in front of you. 
Benefit: While in Dark Mode, you may perform a single melee attack on a target within melee range. If the attack hits, you may immediately make a melee attack on all foes within 5ft of the initial target, even if they would not normally be within melee range. You may use this ability 3+Con times per day. 

Bladecharge (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Str 15 or Dex 15 
You have learned the basics of Bladecharge, a Command Style that cloaks your weapons with a magic aura, extending their reach. 
Benefit: By taking -2 to Attack Rolls with a melee weapon, you may grant that weapon the reach weapon quality if it does not normally have it. 

Bladecharge: Whirlwind (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Str 17 or Dex 17, Bladecharge 
Your Proficiency with Bladecharge allows you to spin your blade almost 360 Degrees, catching foes behind you with the backswing of your attack. 
Benefit: While using Bladecharge, you may make one additional attack against any foes within melee range who are located behind you. 

Bladecharge: Final Revolution (Combat, Fighting Style) 
Prerequisites: Bladecharge: Whirlwind 
Your Mastery of Bladecharge allows you to perform a rapid spinning finishing move, slicing through everything around you. 
Benefit: While using Bladecharge, you may take an additional -2 to your attack rolls (-4 total) during a full attack action. When you do so, the final attack instead deals 2d6+Str or 2d6+Dex Slashing Damage. 

Shotlock (Combat) 
Prerequisites: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Keyblade) 
You gain one of the Shotlock Limit Breaks, as Described Below: 

Ultima Cannon (Su): 
You transform your keyblade into a cannon, firing a single shot that decimates a wide area. Deal 1d6 Non-Elemental Damage per class level in a burst 4 centred on a space within 30ft. of you. 

Multivortex (Su): 
You conjure six blades of energy and charge the target, trapping them in a hurricane. Charge at a target, dealing 1d6 Slashing Damage per class level to the target, and then dealing half as much damage to targets within 5ft. of the original target. 

Lightbloom (Su): 
You spin, releasing countless light blasts from your keyblade that home in on your targets. Choose up to 5 targets within 40ft. of you (You may choose the same target multiple times). Roll 1d4 per class level, and divide the result among the targets as Holy Damage. 

Dark Volley (Su): 
You fire a barrage of dark bolts from your keyblade that home in on your targets. Choose up to 5 targets within 40ft. of you (You may choose the same target multiple times). Roll 1d4 per class level, and divide the result among the targets as Shadow Damage. 

Unlock Transformation (Combat) 
Prerequisites: Keyblade Proficiency, 5th Level. 
You may select a weapon type you are proficient with. Your keyblade can transform into that weapon type as a move action. If you possess the Quick Draw feat you may instead do this as a shift action. Any keychain enchantments that would not be applicable in the new form are rendered inactive until the keyblade transforms back to normal. You may take this feat multiple times, choosing a new weapon type each time. 

Keyblade Glider 
Prerequisites: Keyblade Proficiency, 10th Level. 
You may transform your keyblade into a Keyblade Glider, a flying vehicle with a flight speed of 30ft. (Good) 

Stuff to be added in future Versions: 
- Open Gateway 
- Wingblade, Wingblade: Revolution, Wingblade: Finisher
- Rhythm Mixer, Rhythm Mixer: Jam, Rhythm Mixer: Master Mix 

Thanks for Reading this Smile
I remember having a go at the other thread for Kingdom Hearts and keyblade ideas. Some of my opinions have changed a bit since then, but I'll still give this a shot.

Personally, I still see it as unfair to other characters for them to be anything that isn't a regular, equippable weapon, and so I'll make the suggestions here for them as such.

I'll start with prices. The basic keyblade is, more or less, a knight sword that can also do bludgeoning damage. The main thing that keyblades have over the other weapons to which they are comparable is their functionality with keychains, and while those are a very specific mechanic that I'll detail my idea for later, they're still a big benefit. Based on that, I would make a standard keyblade cost a nice, simple, easy to work with 100 gil. Quite spendy at 1st level, but worth it. It's 400 gil to get a masterwork one, which can be afforded in a level or two.

Power keyblades have somewhat better damage dice, but their main draw is being two-handed, which gives much more oomph when using things like Power Attack, and that increases your damage output immensely. For that, I would make those either 120 gil or 125 gil, whichever you feel is fairer.

Finesse keyblades I propose to make like a dueling sword from Pathfinder, i.e. a longsword to which Weapon Finesse can be applied, which deserves a price similar to that of the power keyblade. The word "finesse" in the name doesn't suggest being a choice weapon for two-weapon fighting so much as it does that it's a weapon for being quick and graceful. Based on that, there should probably be a separate keyblade all its own for that category.

Magic keyblades are a strange beast, but still workable. I would personally make them be one-handed melee weapons that deal either 1d6 or 1d8 and do not apply Weapon Finesse. However, they can be used to fire a bolt of elemental energy, determined when the keyblade is being made; the keyblade can choose from one of the six traditional elements (fire, ice, wind, earth, lightning, or water) and uses the element chosen as a prefix when describing the weapon (fire keyblade, ice keyblade, etcetera). If the keyblade's melee damage is 1d6, the elemental damage is 1d4, and if the melee damage is 1d8, then the elemental damage is 1d6. The range for either weapon is 30 ft., and adds your casting modifier (if you had one) as extra damage to the ranged attack; otherwise, it adds your Charisma modifier, whether positive or negative. These suckers will be awfully pricey, as they should be, since we're combining either a longsword with a power staff or a one-handed short sword with a power rod. The 1d6/1d4 keyblade I would set at 200 gil for the cost, and the 1d8/1d6 should cost 300 gil, since you're getting a lot of stuff in one package. When you enchant one, you add the enhancement bonus to both attacks, and can enchant it as spend slots as a melee or ranged weapon (the total can still be no higher than +10 between the enhancement bonus and other enchantments). However, the enchantments only apply to the melee or ranged function of it when that particular kind of attack is made, e.g. a +3 keen seeking fire keyblade only applies the keen enchantment to its melee attacks, while the seeking enchantment only works on its ranged attacks.

As for my idea about the finesse keyblades being something else, I think the best way to go about that is to make them be light weapons that deal 1d6 bludgeoning or slashing damage and have a crit range of 18-20; they're exotic weapons, and so they should be worth the feat for proficiency. Being light, they're perfect for dual-wielders, and they should cost 75 gil apiece.

As for the keychains, they could function like an alternative to materia. The keyblades themselves are enchanted normally, but keychains take up the materia slot and can add all kinds of properties to the keyblade. For example, a keychain that makes your keyblade deal damage as though it was one size category bigger could cost, say, 3,000 gil, whereas one that increases its effective size for damage dice by two size categories could be 7,000 gil. Keychains that give the keyblade the properties of different materials should probably cost, say, 1,000 gil on top of the extra cost of the material, since this is still something that can be swapped out with another keychain, granting far more versatility than having to make separate keyblades of different materials, and that versatility should cost something. On the other hand, the idea of making these not take up the materia slot on your weapon may be also fair, since these items can only be applied to keyblades, which are already an uncommon weapon.

The feats I'll go over in another post, which will be a little while.
Thanks for your advice. The campaign I am using these in is still ongoing, and I hope to make use of some of your suggestions. I especially like the way you proposed magic keyblades should be handled, and will be adjusting them soon.