Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gunner Problem
"Vital Shot (Ex): If a gunner can catch an opponent flat-footed, he can fire his firearms to strike a vital spot for extra damage. Any time the gunner’s target would be denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, the gunner’s attack deals extra damage. The extra damage is +1d6 at 1st level and an additional +1d6 every three levels thereafter. Should the gunner score a critical hit with a vital shot, this extra damage is not maximized. This ability only functions at point-blank range (30 feet). Gunners with both Far Shot and Precise Shot feats can extend this 50% to 45 feet. All the limits on what targets can be affected are the same as for a thief’s sneak attack ability."

This is essentially Sneak Attack for a Gunner, however the issue lies that once the opponent has acted, they are no longer considered flat footed unless caused by some other ability. So if the Gunner does not go first, he cannot "Vital Shot" an opponent, because ranged characters do not count for flanking, thus not gaining the Sneak Attack benefit. So the gunner has to go first, or not gain any benefit from this ability, until higher levels where some feats and items allow access to it, but at lower level the Gunner must act first.

This seems to be a problem for overall damage early on, and usefulness of the class in general.
I'll think about it. Just not sure at the moment. Got so much on my plate currently. :p
The simple fix I did for now until its addressed is that if you are in a flanking position as a gunner you get the Vital Shot, though not the flank bonus. Also there is a DnD 3.5 feat that grants +dex damage to ranged weapons, (Can't remember the name, it was in a Dragon Magazine, and there were no prereqs), so i've got some gunners doing damage competing with the dragoon and fighter. As long as they get Vital Shot they can compete that is. That's how i fixed it, i know your busy, but it is a temporary fix.
Same can be done with Archer.
Precision damage can be difficult for ranged characters, unless you can manage invisibility. I think the best way in 3.5 to get ranged precision damage without invisibility is Skirmish. Of course, giving gunners that would turn them into, well, skirmishers.

Regardless, I think it'd be better to find a different way to trigger the precision damage than losing Dex to AC.