Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gaian-Lunar Waltz (FFd20 setting)
So, I've been tinkering with a custom setting myself, and would like a few suggestions for it. I'll be adding bits of writing as it comes to me, and I'm also going to be making up some of my own creatures as well, like homebrewing C'ieth and Long Gui; it's going to be including Ivalice, Gran Pulse, and Terra (which is an amalgam of all the NotAsia places the franchise typically has), and I'll also include the moon itself eventually. Here's the Google Doc, if you wanna have a look, and you can leave suggestions there as well. Currently, this is just copypasta from the doc, and I'll have it all divided into different posts.

Setting
The world of Gaia is one steeped in magic and violence. Though they were not its creators, the Eidolons of Gaia were, are, and forever will be its faithful guardians. It was twelve centuries ago that this faithfulness was put to the test; though Gaia has two moons, one of them is not its own. Luna, as the moon is called, is the remnants of another planet, one that was old and grey, being used as a vessel for that world’s Eidolons and what is left of its races to venture in search of a new home. They chose Gaia, and saw that it was already inhabited by Eidolons and intelligent people, ones they saw unfit for populating what they wanted to be their new home. An invasion was started, and the ripples of the clashing of these godlike beings is still felt to this very day. The land was carved and seared, vivified and withered, healed and poisoned by their might.

Headed by the holy war goddess Asura, the Gaian Eidolons and their legions of mortals had managed to fend off the assault of the Lunar Eidolons, but for many of them, at a terrible price. Eidolons were sealed away, locked together, or even killed, along with armies upon armies of their beloved mortal followers, to defend the places they held so dear.
Eidolons

Gaian Eidolons
Asura (leader, sealed)
Ifrit (locked with Brynhildr)
Shiva
Ramuh
Sylph
Titan
Mist Dragon
Lakshmi (Asura’s sister)
Odin (king of a land known as The Scar, known to him and his closest as Wasteland of Ghetz)
Alexander (killed by Ark, exists as a spirit)
Scarmiglione
Cagnazzo
Barbariccia
Rubicante
Leviathan (locked with Bismarck)
Knights of the Round

Lunar Eidolons
Zalera (leader, sealed)
Bahamut (sided with Asura, is adviser and guardian in disguise for the city-state of Draco)
Ark (killed by Alexander, exists as a spirit)
Brynhildr (locked with Ifrit)
Atomos (killed by Bahamut, exists as a spirit)
Hekatoncheir (avatar of the Giant of Babil, refuses to take a side)
Maduin (killed by Asura, body and soul formed into the holy sword Durandal)
Lich
Tiamat
Marilith
Kraken
Yojimbo
Bismarck (locked with Leviathan)
Carbuncle (sided with Asura)

(More will be added later, as I see fit.)
Continents

Ivalice: The most politically active continent on Gaia, Ivalice is actually three large microcontinents that have been slowly drifting together for eons. The northwestern mass is Valendia, a largely temperate area with a stable climate and highly seasonal weather. It is the homeland of Ivalice’s humes, who nearly saturate the place; this is not because of any particular hatred towards or banishment of the other races, it is merely because humes multiply so much faster than most of the other peoples of the world. Its shores that face the sea in the middle are like a giant trading hub for Ivalice, and when Ivalice was an empire of old, the capital of Valendia, Valnain, was the largest city of the three lands. It has since been split into three different smaller cities, officially, but for practicality’s sake the area is still regarded as one. The lands there have ample resources of all kinds, which means that while they may never be able to come close to, say, Kerwon in terms of lumber or raise the sheer number of cattle that the ranchers of Ordalia do, there is enough of nearly everything to make almost anything a viable industry to start there. Fittingly, the number of gold and silver mines there are quite numerous, and they have unusually plentiful amounts of mythril, as well as even the occasional adamant mine.

Kerwon, the southwestern microcontinent, is an area far more in-tune with nature than Valendia. While the humes of Valendia have cleared out swathes of land for civilization, the people of Kerwon (largely elvaan in the flatter areas, and the viera dominate mountains and forests) selectively carve their homes into the land, only taking out what is needed as it is needed, and only if needed; many of the colossal trees there have become living apartment complexes for families of viera, for example, eliminating the need for every family to build a house. The most important export of the area is lumber, both common and exotic. Everything from the typical oak, pine, and cypress to featherweight darkwood, hard-as-steel ironwood, and the nigh-mythically rare living steel trees. Other races have made settlements there, but they are largely short-lived.

The southeastern lands of Ordalia are composed of vast, sweeping plains, rolling hills, and ever-shifting deserts. Moogles, gria, mithra, and tarutaru settlements dominate the place racially, although many humes have taken advantage of their sheer adaptability to work what was once an almost universally wild area into a thriving place of many different subcultures. Many burmecians also call Ordalia their home, although they are more reclusive. Their reputations as nomadic, skirmishing bandits are more undeserved than not, but there are indeed groups of wandering marauders that scour both plain and desert, and it is because the burmecians typically favor exile over execution that many of the cruellest raiders are indeed ratfolk. The countries and cities of this place favor parley over warfare, which has led to a history of battling economically, rather than martially. Much of Ivalice’s supply of beef, pork, and other meat animals comes from Ordalia, and it is also home to many varieties of chocobo, which grants Ordalian countries some leverage in dealings with the superior wealth and technology of Valendia or the skill in arms of Kerwonic peoples.

Gran Pulse: Without a doubt, the continent of Gran Pulse is easily the largest single land mass on the surface of Gaia. Stretching far enough to reach from beyond one tropic past the other, nearly half of the dry land in the world makes up this gargantuan continent. Nearly any sort of terrain can be found here, barring the tundra of the arctic and antarctic, and even places normally thought desolate are teeming with life, so much so that it is a wonder there is enough resources for everything to thrive as it does. It is a very dog-eat-dog sort of place, no matter where you go, to the point that even the chocobos have developed omnivorous breeds of their own for the sake of survival. Indeed, many visitors are genuinely frightened by the prospect of one of their beloved fowl seeing them as lunch, and therefore the place does not have anywhere near as many immediately apparent civilizations as the other continents. They are there, however, and have been for many, many centuries; it is speculated that the Gaian Eidolons themselves have a common home there, hidden away from the prying eyes of mortals.

Scholars theorize that the reason for the overabundance of life is the huge amount of crystal deposits throughout the land. In mountainsides, under hills, beneath the waves of the ocean near the shore, and even smack dab on the ground in the middle of nowhere, can it be found. It appears in all kinds of shapes as well, whether in solid veins, huge geodes, or spires of it that reach higher than ten men. Nearly all of the crystals that naturally occur in Gran Pulse are magical to some degree, some more than others. The highest grades can even be used to manufacture weapons, armor, and other powerful items, and a good few of the truly ancient structures dotting the landscape are made primarily of crystal. The stuff is actually common enough that some creatures even use it as a source of food, especially oretoises like the adamantoise or long gui. Most of the intelligent races utilize the oretoise not unlike a truffle hog, following one as it digs out a deposit and eats its fill, and then they mine what they need from the remaining crystals.

Nearly every race on Gaia can be found here, albeit sparsely. This is less because of any single other factor than the sheer size of the place, considering one could comfortably fit the entire world’s population on a fraction of the continent. Virtually none of them, however, aren’t nomadic to some degree, even if they only move around within their own small area.

Terra:
(Reserved for nations)
Races and Species

Hume
Seeq
Viera
Moogle
Bangaa
Gria
Nu Mou
Burmecian
Qu
Lunarian
Tarutaru

(Other races may be added later, and details on the current ones will come.)
You stole my setting name, Imma sue ya....but seriously, keep up the work, it looks neat.
I like it Smile Keep up the good work.