Poll: Should Shotgun and Bomb be 20ft range or 30ft?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
20ft
66.67%
4 66.67%
30ft
33.33%
2 33.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metamagic Feats
I got bored and decided to make meta-magic feats based mainly around the spell types within FF:TYPE 0.

Shotgun Spell:
You can cause a spell to be fired in a cone in front of you.

Benefit: A shotgun spell changes the spell into a cone attack, still acting as the same spell, hitting all creatures in a 20ft cone. Only spells that are a single target damaging spells that are Ranged attack or Ranged touch are able to be effected by this. Single target healing spells are affected as well. On a successful saving throw against a Shotgun spell, the damage taken from the spell is halved.

MP Increase: +3 (a shotgun spell costs 3 additional MP more than the actual MP cost of the spell.)
---
Bomb Spell:
You can cause a spell to be fired all round you.

A Bomb spell changes the spell into a radius spell, still acting as the same spell, hitting all creatures in a 20ft radius, with the caster as the center. The caster is unaffected by the spell. Only spells that are a single target damaging Ranged attack or ranged touch are able to be effected by this. Single target healing spells are effected as well. On a successful saving throw against a Bomb spell, the damage taken from the spell is halved.

MP Increase: +3 (a bomb spell costs 3 additional MP more than the actual MP cost of the spell.)
---
Split Spell:
You can split a spell to hit multiple targets.

Benefits: A split spell can have its dice pool taken out to split the spell into smaller spells against the same or other targets within range. (EX: A Blizzard III spell that deals 5d6 can be split of to 5 1d6 range touch attacks that inflict frozen.) Split spells lose bonus damage however from caster modifier and level. Only damaging range attack or ranged touch spells can be effected. Single target healing spells are affected as well.

MP Increase: +2 (a split spell costs 2 additional MP more than the actual MP cost of the spell.)
---
Rocket Spell:
You can cause a spell to explode on impact.

Benefits: A rocket spell fires in its max range in a straight line from the caster and impacts on the first creature or object it comes in contact with dealing spell effects normally and half the damage to those within 10ft radius of the impact of the square of the impact being the center. The impacted creature must make a FORT save DC: 20 or be knocked prone from the impact. Only single target damaging range attack or range touch attack can be affected. Single target healing spells are also affected. the attack still makes its designated attack against creature/object its comes to first, if it misses it keeps going passed the character until it impacts or reaches its max range.

MP Increase: +3 (a rocket spell costs 3 additional MP more than the actual MP cost of the spell.)
---
Missile Spell:
You can fire a spell in a missile like state that homes on its target.

Benefit: A missile spell homes on a target unable to miss. The spell guarantees a hit with the spell, however its die is dropped to a d4 and loses its casting modifier to damage but retains level bonus to the spell, but otherwise has all its other effects. This is treated much like magic missile, but is unable to be split off and its treated like magic missile to determine abilities/items that negate magic missile. . Only single target damaging range attack or range touch spells can be affected. Single target healing spells are also affected.

MP Increase: +1 (a Missile spell costs 1 additional MP more than the actual MP cost of the spell.)
I would probably increase the range of Bomb/Shotgun Spell to 30 ft., personally, but apart from that, these look great.
Added some wording to Rocket Spell, it still needs to make a ranged attack or touch against a creature it comes to rather than just impacting.

Missile spell got some wording to be treated as magic missile to abilities and items to negate it.

Still thinking on that range increase to shotgun and bomb. Bomb is no id say. I don't want it to exceed a normal -ra spell. Don't think it should.
The difference in cost between a base spell and a -ra version of it is two more MP, and you'd instead be spending three more to turn your normal spell into something that's still worse (since the spell is centered on you, and therefore doesn't have the 400+x ft. casting range that the -ra spells do). If you're gonna spend more on a spell, you should make it worthwhile.
The base spells get status effects, which can be chained into some pretty strong spells. Someone gets burned, Detonate becomes available. Water on a heavily clad warrior, then use Engulf and watch as they struggle. Having a chance to get those statuses on multiple enemies seems to be a large buff, to me. I believe it staying at the AoE of a -ra spell is fine.
The other thing to wonder about, if you ask me, is what enemies are doing that close to you in the first place. A lot of spells are damage-based, yes, but honestly, if you're primarily a spellcaster and have foes that close to you, you're doing something wrong.
Red Mage and Blue Mage would get the most benefit, probably.
(08-24-2015, 12:17 AM)Manly Man Wrote: The other thing to wonder about, if you ask me, is what enemies are doing that close to you in the first place. A lot of spells are damage-based, yes, but honestly, if you're primarily a spellcaster and have foes that close to you, you're doing something wrong.

Or you were doing what you were supposed to and the meat shields went to the wrong spot because it TOTALLY makes sense to leave me... I mean- the mage- to fight 2 large outsiders with 15' reach while both of you take on the ONE- count 'em- ONE!!! Glabrezo demon... but it is whatever... I pulled off the limit break and we are fine. It is fine.

Smile And now I am realizing I could have cat mist THROUGH the bars of the cell and used it as cover... UGH! My blue mage ego gets the better of my tactical judgment EVERY TIME!
Posted a poll. Poll ends in two days and ill decide from there Smile
While the Bomb Spell feat is more easily debatable, I would mostly like to see Shotgun Spell be a 30 ft. cone. Most spells that have a cone shape are already 30 ft. or greater, and all but a couple of them start in the 3rd- or 4th-level range, which is about what it would cost to cast one of those spells in comparison to turning a 1st-level spell into a cone.

Then again, I am basing this off of my experience with vanilla Pathfinder, since while I've looked through the rules here a good few times, I still don't have much in terms of actually playing the game itself, and the spells between these two games are... different, to say the least, and so basing my decisions more off of Pathfinder stuff (which ranges from useless to reality-warping) does perhaps bias my opinions a bit.
Welp 20ft wins.

I can almost agree with the Shotgun going up but i'll live it as is. Also, has everyone been ok with the fact they hit everything like that and no half damage is included with the saves?
Updated Shotgun and Bomb spells wording on successful saves against the spell halved the damage taken. of course evasion and all can mess with it.