Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrolls and gaining new spells
First off since he seems to read most of these threads I will say thank you Viladin for all your work. My friends and I have been playing various d20 games (mostly Pathfinder) for a while now and we just started a new campaign with this ruleset. Our first session was last night and it was quite fun.

Now on to my question. In Pathfinder, you can learn spells from scrolls with a spellcraft check, but in the Final Fantasy games, you just have to own the scroll. Also in Pathfinder a scroll costs 25 gold X spell level X caster level. In the PDF for this ruleset that formula is repeated in the Item Creation Feats section. However, on the site itself there is a page with a table of scroll costs that do not match the formula.

So I have come up with three possible answers:

1) The PDF is outdated in regards to the scroll cost, and the table on the site overrides the cost of scrolls, but otherwise scrolls are the same as Pathfinder and spells must be learned from the scroll through a spellcraft check.

2) The page on the site is outdated; scrolls and their costs are the same as Pathfinder and spells must be learned from the scroll through a spellcraft check.

3) There are two types of scrolls. One type works similar to the Pathfinder scrolls in terms of cost and using them, but spells are not learned from them. The other type of scroll (using the cost of the page on the site) emulates the Final Fantasy method of scrolls, where if you have a scroll of that spell in your inventory, you can cast that spell the same as if you had learned it.

Option 3 is somewhat aided by the wording in the classes' Spells description: "Like most mages, a [casting class] can find or purchase scrolls with spells to add to her repertoire." It doesn't say anything about learning the spell, just about obtaining the scroll. It is also the option that feels like it would be more specifically said somewhere if it were the case though.

Thoughts? Perhaps even an option 4 that I missed? Or that I'm way overthinking it...
I believe Vils scrolls are just buy and learn. My group does that.
Standard Scrolls rarely have seen use due to every class being able to, eventually, know every spell, and while the MP pools end up with less spells than a standard PF caster would have, it's entirely up to you how many of each level you use... also this system encourages Metamagic use since it's much better than either version (prepared or spontaneous) from PF.

That said- I would run it with Option #3 myself, but due to many Alchemical Items replicating spells (like a Bomb Fragment acting as Fire III) I think the baseline intention is for there to only be the one kind of scroll, with the overridden cost, that only teaches spells and cannot be used to learn them.

#3 is how I'd run things, but I'd feel a need to make a different designation than 'Scroll' for the ones that are consumed to cast the spell stored within. In 3.5 there were some splatbooks with stuff like a Fetish(example would be a bone carved with runes, that stores a spell, and is cast when broken), or Runestones I think were a think... just small rocks you basically write a scroll on. I mean having two types of Scrolls can work... just a little messy.
Thanks all, I'll have to discuss it with my group, but a modified version of option 3 that gets rid of pathfinder-type scrolls in favor of alchemical items seems like a good way to go.
Yay, what they said.