Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analogous Monsters in D&D to FF Monsters
I like what the Bestiary/Compendium has to offer, though I also think that there could be a need of either directly related monsters from FF in D&D already, like Carbuncle (not the summon), which, in D&D, is harmless and is only good if you can convince it through a Diplomacy check to give you its gem, which regenerates.

There are those monster more unique to FF, which the compendium has already covered, for the most part (there might be some that are FF unique that aren't here yet, but are more complex), but I wonder if making a document of sorts to see parallel monsters that already exist in FF and have them as a reference for people wanting to use the FF D20 universe. Or is this just me being slightly OCD or analytical to a fault? I already have a doc that gives me the CR of all the monsters in the compendium, which does have gaps, just by the logic that most DMs are probably going to use D&D MM monsters anyway if they can help it.
(06-08-2015, 12:13 AM)muichimotsu Wrote: I like what the Bestiary/Compendium has to offer, though I also think that there could be a need of either directly related monsters from FF in D&D already, like Carbuncle (not the summon), which, in D&D, is harmless and is only good if you can convince it through a Diplomacy check to give you its gem, which regenerates.

There are those monster more unique to FF, which the compendium has already covered, for the most part (there might be some that are FF unique that aren't here yet, but are more complex), but I wonder if making a document of sorts to see parallel monsters that already exist in FF and have them as a reference for people wanting to use the FF D20 universe. Or is this just me being slightly OCD or analytical to a fault? I already have a doc that gives me the CR of all the monsters in the compendium, which does have gaps, just by the logic that most DMs are probably going to use D&D MM monsters anyway if they can help it.

Making monsters from scratch is quite difficult (for me anyways). There's no (as far I know) correct way to balance things with their CR. I did have a program that did a moderate job, but it shortly crashed and never worked again, sadly.
If people really want to use it...there is the monster creator on pathfinder prd/you can always just finetune it that way...keep the abilities and such/just tweak the actual stats/
Most of mine is hand made mainly boss types. If they are not npc enemies and are actual monsters I take from the ffx bestiary or vills. I'd I take from the ffx d20 of course I gatta tweak it but still works good as a base.
Pssst, Vil, there's also a simplified Monster Creator in Pathfinder Unchained, haven't done a lot with it myself but I've heard good things.
(06-09-2015, 01:44 AM)dairius_chi Wrote: Pssst, Vil, there's also a simplified Monster Creator in Pathfinder Unchained, haven't done a lot with it myself but I've heard good things.

I will have to look at it.
(06-09-2015, 01:44 AM)dairius_chi Wrote: Pssst, Vil, there's also a simplified Monster Creator in Pathfinder Unchained, haven't done a lot with it myself but I've heard good things.

Actually just found it. Its pretty neat.