Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alchemical Tinkerer (Chemist Archetype) + change to discovery
Howdy howdy.
I think this is the right place for this..
So I read the Chemist, and honestly I love it. It's a lot closer to what I wanted out of the pathfinder version of alchemist. I'm probably going to ask next pathfinder game i play if i can use achemist instead and be able to make the alchemical items (MY absolute favorite!); likely switching holy and shadow for postitive and negative energy. acid for earth, etc.

Though when I read it I noticed it was mostly geared towards bomb discoveries, and it was pretty difficult to use some of the alchemical stuff. So I thought about it and ended up making something of a crappy archetype. I'd love anyones advice on how it is. It's hard to balance alchemical items as I've only just barely used them. So if it's too sideways one way or another i'd love to hear.
The idea was to give the abilty to use Alchemical items, of all levels, and be the definitive user of alchemical items. It wasn' expressly designed to shoot them out of a gun but it certainly a big option, and also seems like something someone mastering alchemical items woudl do.

========
I also put a note for Grenade gun.. because right now i'm having a hard time justfying taking it over say explosive missle discovery.

First Suggestion:: Alteration to grenade gun. (see below for original). I would suggest adding a caveat stating that you may apply bomb splash damage to targets hit by scatter shot attacks.. This would make Grenade gun more useful than just explosive missile.
The current differences I see: Explosive missile cannot use two handed firearms, but can use bow and crossbow; additionally it would appear you can use a premade alchemical item laced bullet via alchemical bullet in the process, and load it. Allow for a move action to make alchemical bullet, standard to load it, and your bomb onto it, and fire for both full effects. Technically also allows any bonuses to thrown weapons. Can gain access to this at lv 5.
Grenade gun: can use two handed firearms, does not allow benefits as listed previously.
To amend the difference, I would suggest perhaps adding a caveat to grenade gun to allow you to add bomb splash damage to everyone hit by a scatter gun. This would give it another unique aspect. May not fit the name however. As it stands, unless your using rifles it’s hard to choose over explosive missile discovery. May even consider allowing you expressly to use alchemical item laced bullets as the bomb bullet as well. Doubt it would be that bad, considering it would take a full round action to do that, or a premade supply. This would make it on par, but expressively useful for a different style of combat (snipers, or shotgunners) or create an alternate choice but then it feels a bit painful to buy into.
Original
Grenade Gun (Ex): A chemist further refines his abilities, allowing him to create special bullets that function identically to his bombs. When using Alchemical Bullet to carry the effects of a chemist's bomb, the chemist may use Discoveries to further modify the bomb. The Alchemical Bullet now deals splash damage, and benefits from feats that specifically improve splash weapons (But not from feats that apply to any thrown weapon). Prerequisites: Chemist 8, Alchemical Bullet

======

Chemist Archetype
Alchemical Tinkerer
Some chemists focus on healing, some focus on learning weapons to stay alive to help others. And some simply want to experiment.
An Alchemical Tinkerer grew bored with explosive mixtures early in their career, preferring more esoteric inventions. Reduce the Tinkerer’s bomb dice by one step: Bomb damage 1d4,
• Alchemical Bullet (Ex): This discovery must be taken as the level 4 discovery.
• Skilled Chemist Ex): Skill Focus Craft alchemy. “The chemist may add their Int mod to the damage or DC of created Alchemical Items. (This does not effect a chemists bomb feature): (Should it include “magical alchemical item” instead? To prevent double INT on say acid flasks) Replaces Anesthetic
• Speed Mixing Ex): Using Alchemical Mixture is faster. You can now create alchemical items as a move action once per round. That does not provoke AOO. At level 11 this becomes a swift action. This replaces the lv 8 and 12 Discoveries
• Improved Alchemical Mixture Ex): The chemist perfects their recipes. You may now use Alchemical Mixture 1/2 class level +Int modifier per day. This replaces the level 10 discovery
• Centrifugal Mix: (Ex): The Chemist learns to mix in new faster ways, Mix is now a move action and does not provoke AOO. This replaces Defensive Bombing training

Discoveries: A Tinkerer may add this to the list of possible discoveries
Thrifty Tinkerer (Ex): Tinkerers are always picking up knickknacks and random items, knowing that everything can be used in some fashion. 10% discount to crafting cost?
Potent Toys (Ex): A tinkerer learns to make extra effects with his bombs more potent. Taking this discovery adds +2 to the saving DC of the bombs.

Grand Discoveries: A tinkerer adds this discovery to the list of choices
Mixture Master: May now use Mix to combine two tier 3’s into a tier 4 alchemical item.