Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feat Suggestions
What non metamagic feats would you take on a caster blue mage?

I have Dodge, and Mobility, Sidestep, Extra Analysis.
(03-20-2015, 02:26 PM)Luphey Wrote: What non metamagic feats would you take on a caster blue mage?

I have Dodge, and Mobility, Sidestep, Extra Analysis.

Extra MP.
Tch. Vill..no.

Caster Blue Mages (For the remainder of this post will be refereed to as U Mages) can go a few directions. This mostly depends on what you as the mage are focussing on. Treat U Mage's sort of as bloodlineless sorcerers. Pick a general theme, and speak with your DM about it.

So now we must think, are you a nuker of the party? Are you more of a battle magician, applying buffs to your allies? Are you a hexer, focusing on debuffing the enemy? Are you the healer providing a second chance to your allies fray?

If you are a hexer, I recommend Spell Focus - Enfeebling. As that helps you as a debuffing blue mage tremendously.

If you are the nuker of the group, non metamagic feats you might want to consider include: Throw Anything, Craft (Insert item type here) Shot on the run and weapon finesse. (For those out of mp moments)

Regardless, Extra MP while it is always beneficial, isn't the greatest choice on a U Mage, as U Mage's MP pool is fine as it is.

For the explanation for Throw Anything, As A U Mage, part of your job is versatility. While it isn't an optimal feat by any stretch, you'd be amazed to find how often that splash weapon bonus can apply to a mage. Plus it allows for some insane combo's witho your party. Remember, speak to your DM, and try to find creative uses for your magic, rather than just be a "pure" damage caster. You are a U mage, not a B.Mage. Your job is to be an empty vessel.

You are empty, yet you are infinite. Now go forth, and become the world my student.

"The life of a Blue Mage is one of agony, and ecstasy. The ability to harness the destruction that mauled you, is like none other." - TFM, Blue Mage Extraordinaire of FFd20
OK, so let me pull out my build here. I rolled this out last night, its planned all the way to 20

-Spells(Just from leveling)-
1st- Blood Drain, Umbral Gaze, Marrow Drain
2nd- Wing Cutter, Grave Reel
3rd- Blaster, Rolling Thunder
4th- Aqua Lung , White Wind
5th- Fulmination, Bad Breath
6th- Bewitching Gaze, Everyone's Grudge
7th- Lava Blast, Annihilate
8th- Spark Shower, Death Force
9th- Phoenix Tear, Soul Drained Breath, Eye Beam, Stop Gaze

-B.Magery -
Analysis Mastery (x2)
Creature Knowledge Mastery
Obscure Spell Mastery (x2)

-Feats -
Dodge, Mobility, Sidestep, Extra Analysis, Intensified Spell, Quicken Spell, Point Blank Shot, Arcane Shield, Piercing Spell, Shot on the Run, Ectoplasmic Spell

-Bonus Feats-
Empowered Spell, Maximize Spell, Persistent Spell, Widen Spell

So I guess I'm going a little bit of everything, mostly nuke. Definately open to changes. Does shot on the run work with power staves?
Shot on the Run (Combat)

You can move, fire a ranged weapon, and move again before your foes can react.

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, Point-Blank Shot, base attack bonus +4.

Benefit: As a full-round action, you can move up to your speed and make a single ranged attack at any point during your movement.

Normal: You cannot move before and after an attack with a ranged weapon.

Yes. Point-Blank Shot and Shot on the Run works with power staves and spells. Its VERY beneficial

"The life of a Blue Mage is one of agony, and ecstasy. The ability to harness the destruction that mauled you, is like none other." - TFM, Blue Mage Extraordinaire of FFd20
Dropped Craft Alchemy and Elemental Spell, for Point Blank Shot and Shot on the run.
And with that route, you are more of a spell based assassin. Prioritize movement, and battlefield pressure. Your job is to not be ANYWHERE near the fight. But slipping in and out of it. Constantly using your superior mobility (another feat to consider) to dominate a 1v1 or a 1v2 scenario. However, make sure you fall behind your tank whenever you are low on MP or HP, as you are going to be squishy without that Dex bonus.

Also, try consider using a masterwork weapon with a favoured materia. Just so you have a Plan C when worst comes to worst.

You are an empty vessel pupil, empty, yet you are infinite. Now go forth and become the world.

I'd just like to point out throw anything the feat doesn't add damage to splash weapons, that is a unique benefit of the chemist (ffd20) and alchemist (pf) classes.

And shot in the run wouldn't let you use ranged spells as part of a move, only ranged weapons, if that affects how you were building things.
Throw Anything (Combat)

You are used to throwing things you have on hand.

Benefit: You do not suffer any penalties for using an improvised ranged weapon. You receive a +1 circumstance bonus on attack rolls made with thrown splash weapons.

Normal: You take a –4 penalty on attack rolls made with an improvised weapon.

I meant to say attack rolls.. also Dairius, I always assumed Shot on the Run would apply to ranged spells, since precise shot does as well...

Possibly the ones that are specifically ranged touch attacks, but that judgement would be up to vil i guess. I nabbed the feat for my power staff.
No, the only way it would really work is casting a spell like Fiery Shuriken, which can give you ranged attack options on following rounds. The act of casting a spell like Fire II is different than firing a gun. In 3.5 there was a feat called Mobile Spellcasting (or just casting? ) that allowed you to move, cast a spell, and move again with a good enough concentration check, sadly it was not converted over but it wouldn't be impossible to do so.

Precise shot works on ranged spells because after casting them they create weapon-like effects and cam benefit from stuff like weapon focus and inspire courage. But shot on the run doesn't let you cast a spell mid-move, it lets you make a ranged attack. So still decent with a power rod or staff if focusing on casting moddas damage will be decent.