Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th Edition
I was wondering if anyone was thinking about making conversions to 5E? I've run it a few times now and I think its a really easy system to learn and run compared to 3.x. Would probably easier to get people who haven't played RPG's before into playing this. I don't think the conversions would be too difficult, the systems have enough in common.

I really like this system, and I've had a lot of fun running and playing it, but I think there are somethings that could be improved on.
Same. It feels like it moves smoother. In 3.5 I had to keep notes for every weapon and spell I was using when in 5e everything just happens to be there. It's also got that nifty Cyberpunk 2020-esque background generator lol. I like how you just need to add proficiancy bonus to things and that it got rid of skill points? completely. You're either proficiant or you aren't.

And a few classes feel like they shouldn't exist. A friend showed me skald and it seems it looks a bit more like the dragonborn of Skyrim than something out of Final Fantasy. Though FF IS a big melting pot of mythologies, legends and fantasy so I suppose it could work. And SOLDIER should be a prestige class, Zack wasn't born a SOLDIER. I feel it's the sort of class that players should work for.

As to the races, the Mithra could maybe be updated to include the Miqo'te of A Realm Reborn and get rid of the silly Thundercats subraces lol. Just my opinion.
The problem is, 5e, is considered to be lacking in choices, and strategy. By converting this into 5th edition, you make the bard useless, you make a white mage insignificant, and in fact all that needs to be played are, Dark Knights, Holy Knights, Thieves, and Fighters. Magic in 5e is considered weak, and Strikers currently dominate the format. Would you rather have ease of use, and sacrifice party participation, or would you rather have complexity, yet diversity.

That is the question you are forcing upon Vil by imposing this.

Cloud, Skald exists, because of Pathfinder, it is a sub class of Bard there, however, it is improved upon, and allows higher party potential. On top of the Soldier comment, you might be new here, but it was originally a prestiege class. It was worked in as an archetype, in order to prevent some overpowered, and broken combo classing potential. And about the thundercats thing? Vil has a sense of humor. And in fact it may appear silly, but its appreciated.

Furthermore, if you disagree with this, go right ahead and post your complaints. However, I for one, request intellectual evidence to suggest why we should start converting this format over from Pathfinder, to Dungeons and Dragons 5e.
(01-11-2015, 01:23 PM)TheFrozenMoogle Wrote: The problem is, 5e, is considered to be lacking in choices, and strategy. By converting this into 5th edition, you make the bard useless, you make a white mage insignificant, and in fact all that needs to be played are, Dark Knights, Holy Knights, Thieves, and Fighters. Magic in 5e is considered weak, and Strikers currently dominate the format. Would you rather have ease of use, and sacrifice party participation, or would you rather have complexity, yet diversity.

That is the question you are forcing upon Vil by imposing this.

I've run 5e for about two months now, and I honestly haven't encountered any of those problems. Magic doesn't seem weaker at all, my party is pretty diverse as far as class goes and I find that there's a good balance between them all as far as power level is concerned. Though, they are all only around level 5. I don't know how they would be around higher levels.

As far as mechanics, I found 5e a lot easier to get the hang of than pathfinder. Nothing against it though, I like pathfinder and it has its merits, I was just wondering if there were any talks of a conversion and what other people thought.
No no, it's fine it's fine, just an opinion.

As to Skald, it's been quite some time since I had seen a pathfinder book so the first thing I thought of was Skyrim lol. Sorry about that.
As I said in a reply in an email. I have no plans, most likely ever, to do a 5E conversion. Someone else can do it if they want to and they have my blessings. I would rather to do a 4E conversion than any other conversion.

And yes, Skald was tailored after Skyrim, but it's also a FF class "name" and I thought it would be amusing to make a prestige class based around it.

And TFM said, the thundercats subraces for Mithra was an amusing thought, but it also served as versatility for the mithra race.

And as far as Soldier goes, I still have the prestige class if anyone wants it. My opinion is that it makes sense as an archetype rather than a prestige class.
I do make stuff for humor's sake. If you haven't noticed, but the Holy Knight and Dark Knight's limit breaks are a reference to the Green Lanterns.
I know I for one will walk away if a 4E conversion is made. Never liked the system and it has made me wary of WotC in general now, so I am firmly embedded in the Pathfinder/3.x side of things. To each their own as we all know, but at least to the ones I have talked to, the older D&D generation doesn't like 4E.
Pathfinder and 4th Edition are very different, and they both do different things well. Honestly it's kind of like comparing FFXI and FFXIV based off of the complaints I wind up seeing about the two.
I don't think we need to change what Vil has done from PF to 5e, the change from 3.5 to PF was daunting enough and overall wound up being a better fit for the system.
In the old forums there was a separate section for a 4e conversion, maybe we could have something like that for a 5e conversion? And possibly a 4e one as well if there is demand for one.
As far as what I think of FF in 5e, I would try to make the conversion resembling FF 1, it almost works in a 1 to 1 conversion (since FF 1 is heavily based off of 1e AD&D); Warrior = Fighter, Thief = Rogue, Black Belt = Monk, White Mage = Cleric, Black Mage = Wizard. There is a spell point variant in the DMG. The FF 1 bestiary is almost a complete copy pasta the first Monster Manual.