Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spell Thief
Would this class work in a FFd20 campaign with White/Black/Blue/Red mages? I understand the Magic system is a bit different so I'm not sure if the mechanics can fit without major tweaking.
You will probably have to tweak it a lot, its going to be a bit weaker than the classes in FFd20 for sure.
Wasn't there already an archetype on here that stole abilities and spells?
http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/str...ician.html

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking a class that literally steals spells? (Like draw?) or just a thief that uses magic.

Street Magician is a arch of thief that has some magic. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are looking for.

If your looking for a Spell stealer i mean yeah anything is possible long as its balanced of course. If it was me id give it Draw as a spell stealer (adding some variations of situations of what is able of it and what it can do such a storing magic and counter stealing mid cast) and give it some thief specials.
There was an MP Thief feat that allowed you to steal MP with Sneak Attacks instead of dealing damage iirc, but if you were to convert the Spell Thief you'd have to change all mentions of spell levels to MP I guess...? All in all the changes wouldn't be that big, but as already stated it would fall short to almost any other Prestige Class and possibly even most Base Classes in raw 'power', though classes that do exactly the same thing might be short in supply.

The closest off the top of my head was Mime which could take 'Mimic Spell' or 'Mimic Song' and then be able to perform/cast one they see someone else watch, though they can only ever mimic up to a 5th level spell/song(assuming all 10 levels were taken), up to 7th if a particular Focus was active to boost spell/song usage.

So yeah... stealing spells to use yourself? Little harder to do, but if you just wanna steal a caster's MP there's a feat for that which would work well on a multiclass Thief/Caster, or for that Street Magician I guess... if they have an MP pool.
Couldn't you almost make a variant of the blue mage to fulfill this? Just instead of having to watch it or suffer it, you could steal it? Still waking up for the day, but just a thought.
From what I remember about spell thief, you needed to successfully attack someone who is casting a spell and if you land the attack you stole said spell(pathfinder). But i think also, you could sneak attack someone and forgo the damage to steal a random spell from their spellbook(3.5). So I think if this was an archetype it would fit better with thief. But the spell casting per day for spell thieves was also not very impressive(4 per level at level 20).