Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemist Crafting..
My DM (Kenki) is wondering, the chemist as the way he says, requires the spell to create a magical alchemical item of its caliber. (Example Cure Potion: ingested; restores 1d8+5 HP; faint healing; CL 5th; Craft Alchemical Item; cure; Price 100 gil.) The way he sees it, I either require the cure spell, or I require its scroll. Mind shedding some light on this issue?
(08-12-2014, 07:14 PM)TheFrozenMoogle Wrote: My DM (Kenki) is wondering, the chemist as the way he says, requires the spell to create a magical alchemical item of its caliber. (Example Cure Potion: ingested; restores 1d8+5 HP; faint healing; CL 5th; Craft Alchemical Item; cure; Price 100 gil.) The way he sees it, I either require the cure spell, or I require its scroll. Mind shedding some light on this issue?

You do need the cure spell or a scroll of it... OR. The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet.

If you didn't have the Cure spell, the DC to create a magic item is 10 + the caster level for the item.
Have you ever considered then allowing the chemist to be a spellcrafting class? It seems weird then, that require a one time use scroll (Say a level 1 of 50 gill) and require 50 gill (Total of 100) to have a chance to craft a regular level one potion..which would have cost me 100 gill to start with..
(08-13-2014, 05:23 PM)TheFrozenMoogle Wrote: Have you ever considered then allowing the chemist to be a spellcrafting class? It seems weird then, that require a one time use scroll (Say a level 1 of 50 gill) and require 50 gill (Total of 100) to have a chance to craft a regular level one potion..which would have cost me 100 gill to start with..

I had thought I put in something to say that Chemist uses their class level as a spellcasting level for crafting. I'll have to put that in.
So..chemists are allowed to learn (but not cast) Any spell that requires a spell component, or the scroll as a material component? Or am I misunderstanding..
What he means is that Chemist counts as CL equal to their class level so they match the min CL to create an item, they can't learn spells so they have to make Spellcraft (or the appropriate craft) checks vs standard DC +5 per spell they don't have, like how the Alchemist in PF works.

Alchemist in PF has Formulae, but isn't actually a spellcaster- they just count as a caster of their class level for the sake of meeting minimum levels to create something. They still have to make a Spellcraft (or craft check) with an increased DC, so in the end if your spellcraft isn't boosted by feats or items chances are you still won't be able to make something until a couple levels after a Wizard could, which is a fair trade off for a 6th level 'spell' class being able to essentially make anything eventually.
Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard to do, Pathfinder has a feat for that called, "Master Craftsman" that lets you use your ranks in a craft skill as a CL.