Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FFXI Artifact Armor Conversion
There are legends that surround these mysterious pieces of armor. And the weaponry has long since been forgotten by the modern folk. But there are ancients scattered around the world that remember these lost Relics. Should an adventure be so bold as to search for them, their reward will not disappoint.

Staying true to the tradition of Final Fantasy XI, I recommend these items be scattered around the world. A special quest (which would include the help of the other party members of course) should be required. Instead of taking the higher bonus, all stats given stack with any other item the wearer is wearing. (For example, if a wearer already has a ring that gives +4 to Strength, and grabs a pair of AF gloves that add +4 to Strength, the wearer would then have +8 to Strength instead of the normal +4.) The items are meant to enhance the class' abilities that it already possesses, and add a little extra taste to the flavor of each.
I tried to keep the weapon the same as it was in Final Fantasy 11, but they can be swapped for any other weapon that the DM decides, assuming the character is proficient with the weapon.

Should an item be chosen for enhancement, it would act as just the magical item before the specific class enhancements. For example, the Archer's Sniping Bow would just be a +2 Longbow. The Hunter's Jerkin just a +2 Studded Leather Armor, Hunter's Bracers +4 Dex enhancement, and the Hunter's Socks +2 Dex enhancement. All head pieces would just add an additional 4,000 gil for the upgrade cost.

Archer:
Weapon: Sniping Bow.
+2 Longbow, +10 bow range, +2 to ranged attacks (this is in addition to the +2 from the weapon.)
-Wielder may add ½ her Dex modifier to damage, this ability stacks with any other bonus to damage granted from other sources.

Head: Hunter's Beret:
HP+5, Increases the effectiveness of Aim by +1. (For Example: Should an Archer use Aim at a cost of 5, the bonus to attack and damage would be +6)

Body: Hunter's Jerkin
+2 Studded Leather Armor, HP+10, +2 Con, +2 Stealth checks, Increases the critical threat of bows by 1.

Hands: Hunter's Bracers
+4 Dex, Enhances the effect of Precision Shot by +1d6 damage.

Boots: Hunter's Socks
+2 Dex, +10 movement speed, +1 Hunter Trick (An archer may add another Hunter Trick to her list selected)

Necklace: Rabbit's Foot
Enhances the Expert Archery ability by +1., this increases the damage and attack bonus with bows by an additional +1. Enhances the Improved Archery ability, allowing the archer to shoot one more arrow with her rapid shot ability at the same attack bonus as the others. So the Archer would get three arrows shot each at a -2 attack modifier.

Bard:
Weapon: Paper Knife
+2 Silencing Dagger, A Bard may inscribe a song onto the dagger (may only have one inscribed at a time,) anytime the Bard plays the song inscribed on the dagger it's effect is enhanced by +2. Any opponent hit by the Dagger must make a Will save equal to (10 + Bard's level + CHA Modifier) or be silenced for 1d4 rounds.

Head: Choral Roundlet
HP+5, Increases the DC to resist being Provoked by +1, Increases the bonus given by all Aura's by +1.

Body: Choral Justaucorps
+2 Studded Leather Armor, HP+10, +2 Con, Increases the DC to resist being Provoked by +1, Enhances the duration of songs by 1 round.

Hands: Choral Cuffs
+4 CHA, Increases the DC to resist being Provoked by +1, Enhances the effectiveness of all Inspire abilities by one category. (For example, Inspire Competence my add +5 by the bard's current level but this would make it +6. Inspiration may add +5d6 temporary HP but this would make it 6d6.)
This works with Inspire Courage, Inspiration, Inspire Competence, Inspire Greatness, and Inspire Heroics.

Boots: Choral Slippers
+2 CHA, +2 Dex, +2 to all Bardic performance checks, Increases the range of Grant Move Action by 10 feet.

Necklace: The Tuning Fork
Increases the DC to resist being Provoked by +1, Increases the range of all the Bard's Auras by 10 feet. Increases the DC of all Bardic spells by +2.

Beastmaster:
Weapon: Barbaroi Axe
+2 Keen Battleaxe, When raging the Beastmaster gains +1d6 to damage while wielding this weapon. This effect continues even while taking a Beast Shape.
This weapon can be wielded even if the Beastmaster does not have proficiency with this weapon type.

Head: Beast Helm
HP+8, Enhances the Quarry ability, adding +2 to his attack rolls and increases his critical threat range by +2 against his target

Body: Beast Jackcoat
+2 Studded Leather, HP+10, +2 Con, All stat bonuses from the Beastmaster are shared with the animal companion. This includes ability scores, saving throws, skill checks, hit points, attack roles, damage bonuses, any bonus given during Bestial Rage, and Rage Powers. (For example, if the Beastmaster has +4 to his strength from an item worn, his animal companion would also gain a +4 to strength.)

Hands: Beast Gloves
+4 Strength, Enhances the bonus of Natural Savagery.
Natural Savagery gets enhanced in the following ways: The damage and attack rolls gain an additional +2. This bonus now applies to any weapon held and is not limited to just natural weapons and cannot be given to the Animal Companion from the Beast Jackcoat ability.

Boots: Beast Gaiters
+2 Strength, +2 Con, Gain an additional Rage Power.

Necklace: Beastman's Seal
While raging, all allies within 30 feet of the wearer gain an additional +2 to all stats (this excludes the Beastmaster and his Animal Companion.) Enhances all bonuses given from Bestial Rage by +2. (For example, the benefits from an Ape companion are Climb speed +15 feet, +2 bonus to Strength, +4 to Dexterity and +1 Natural Bonus to Armor Class. With this helm the bonuses would become Climb speed +17 feet [This would not change anything due to speeds needing to be a multiple of 5] +4 bonus to Strength, +6 bonus to Dexterity, and +3 bonus to AC)

I would love some feedback on these items or the ideas behind them. There has been very minimal revisions, so balance and grammatical mistakes are sure to exist. It takes quite a bit of time for the conversion of some classes. Before I continue I would like to know the thoughts of the community. Thank you everyone!

If you don't like them Vill, I can stop and delete them Smile.
I like them alot, actually. Keep up the good work, I may steal them. Smile
These do look interesting. Have you considered adding set bonuses for wearing/using 3, 4, or all 5 pieces of the armor? I wouldn't say put too much on since each item is already pretty good, but it could give a little incentive when the concept of just buying a +5 weapon and +5 armor is technically 'better'.
The idea of set bonuses did cross my mind. In FFXIV there wasn't set bonuses, so a person wouldn't use the AF gear forever, though some pieces would last longer. I wanted to stay more true to that feeling than going the World of Warcraft route. Which is also the reason I added the eligability for upgrades and why I made each piece fairly strong on its own.

What first comes to mind would just be for every piece beyond the initial two pieces, the weapon and armor would gain an additional +1 but would lose the option of being upgraded. So at three pieces the weapon and armor would become +3, and at four pieces +4 and all the pieces would create +5. This would put then right at the threshold, and with the bonuses slightly over, of an epic level item. Including the trinket would set them past it at +6, so depending on what level the DM decides to put these in it could become problematic. So maybe extend the requirement for bonuses one more set piece.

I also imagine the players not getting the option for the pieces until level 14+, forgot to mention that in my original post.

Thanks for the feedback!
I know I saw these and thought they were great, but yea, my first thought was...where are the set bonuses? D&D had them, even on item sets that were relatively low powered, so you would eventually pass them up for better items. They are pretty good even without the set bonuses though. Can't wait to see the rest of them.
I'm considering renaming the item list to Legacy for FFd20. This is based generally how Legacy items and Artifact items are different in Pathfinder and other editions of this great hobby. And as far as set bonuses are concerned, for that to be implemented I would need to edit how the items are started entirely. While it is under consideration, for now I will leave them statted how they are, and use the set bonuses, if chosen at all, to what I suggested above, which is still pretty good.