Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about archetypes
I've been going over the archetypes, and though I do find them very cool, one or two of them have made me wonder a few things.

The immediate one comes from the Burmecian Dragon Knight. Why are only Burmecians aloud this class? Its very unique, but I don't see any reason why its even a racial archetype, especially for the race that is noted as amazing jumpers, given that it looses many of its jumping abilities. Even the signature Dragoon of their race doesn't come close to this archetype.

If there is a reason, I'd really like to know, as I've found little to no information on the Burmecians, and this class being theirs and theirs alone feels like there is some kind of interesting story behind them. If there isn't, then it feels to me like it just doesn't belong where it is. A class about becoming one with dragons through comradery with them should be a class anyone can take (or at least restricted to the Gria or maybe the Bangaa, since their draconic qualities could be argued).
The Dragonknight archetype is based off Freya from Final Fantasy 9. Freya's job (or class) is Dragon Knight. Unlike the Dragon Knights of other Final Fantasy games, Freya possesses a set of special skills in addition to her job's traditional ability — a common theme in Final Fantasy IX. These skills are known as "Dragoon" skills and offer a range of attack, healing, and status-changing effects. Freya is Burmecian, and the only character from a final fantasy game(that i can think of) that has this particular set of skills. Bangaa are Lizardfolk, not very close to draconic. And the gria have wings, so dragoon being a racial class for them doesn't make sense, since jumping ability doesn't mean much for them.
You also have to remember that this, like all things, is merely a guideline. If you want another race to have it in a campaign of yours or one you are in, you totally can. It used to be open to more races, but once Vil wrote up the Burmecian race, he changed it to a racial archetype...I assume cause the flavor fit. Good luck with it.
(07-30-2014, 09:08 AM)Luphey Wrote: The Dragonknight archetype is based off Freya from Final Fantasy 9. Freya's job (or class) is Dragon Knight. Unlike the Dragon Knights of other Final Fantasy games, Freya possesses a set of special skills in addition to her job's traditional ability — a common theme in Final Fantasy IX. These skills are known as "Dragoon" skills and offer a range of attack, healing, and status-changing effects. Freya is Burmecian, and the only character from a final fantasy game(that i can think of) that has this particular set of skills. Bangaa are Lizardfolk, not very close to draconic. And the gria have wings, so dragoon being a racial class for them doesn't make sense, since jumping ability doesn't mean much for them.

Its a bit obscure, but Freya Crescent, a Burmecian, was a dragon knight. A dragoon-type with some dragon-related powers.

EDIT: I just realized that Luphey beat me to it. /raises fist in mock anger.
Ok, its been a bit since I last played 9, so i don't remember much about her (except that she didn't have a dragon, or at least not in combat) so I was a little confused with that.

As a counter argument to the Gria, the class gives you wings, so thats a little moot. That being said my only counter argument for bangaa (and a terrible one at that) is that lizards are kinda dragony, and if you have a draconic lineage, you'd be pissed if someone called you a lizard too. its that tiny string of logic that made me even mention them, but i get it.

I'm mostly asking to learn rather than criticize, so the imput is greatly apriciated.

EDIT/ADD:
Another one, and it may simply be a typo, is the Redeemer, as it is listed as a Qu archetype, but the archetype itself classifies itself as a Galka Holy Knight. not sure which.
(07-30-2014, 12:43 PM)timtheenchanter Wrote: EDIT/ADD:
Another one, and it may simply be a typo, is the Redeemer, as it is listed as a Qu archetype, but the archetype itself classifies itself as a Galka Holy Knight. not sure which.

Thanks for the catch, its suppose to be Qu.
(07-30-2014, 12:43 PM)timtheenchanter Wrote: Ok, its been a bit since I last played 9, so i don't remember much about her (except that she didn't have a dragon, or at least not in combat) so I was a little confused with that.

As a counter argument to the Gria, the class gives you wings, so thats a little moot. That being said my only counter argument for bangaa (and a terrible one at that) is that lizards are kinda dragony, and if you have a draconic lineage, you'd be pissed if someone called you a lizard too. its that tiny string of logic that made me even mention them, but i get it.

I'm mostly asking to learn rather than criticize, so the imput is greatly apriciated.
Yup, not criticizing, just throwin out my opinion as to why its available to Bermecians, and not the others. Overall the gria don't seem all that dragon like to me.(Though their description ins FFTA2 says "With wings of a dragon and a powerful tail), but Dragoon wasn't available to the Gria in that game, nor any other race besides bangaa. And I could see why a Bangaa would get upset, but, if the Bangaa do have a relation with Dragons, its probably far removed. All that being said, it all goes back to my original point. Freya was the only major character from the FF universe that had similar abilities(sans dragon pet), so it makes sense that it would only be available to her race. But I do see both sides of the coin and I could see this being viable for bangaa and gria, but each race does have their own respective archetypes. (Ex. Ironskin Monk, Redeemer, etc).

Edit: Yup, I beat you to it VIl. I was quite proud of myself actually. xD