Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
handling a blue mage
So this is coming from the DM, not the players side. I've got a blue mage in my group and he's rapidly becoming out of control. A first level (maybe 2nd) blue spell, marrow drain, allows my lvl 3 player to have unlimited mana, and just the fact that a blue mage is in my group makes creating encounters a pain! I had them fight a small dragon and suddenly the blue mage is summoning dragons as a limit break, and I'm pretty much not having any monsters cast spells to prevent further abuse. My black mage in the party is quickly being outshined and has half the spell selection, I know he's not happy about this. Can anyone make a suggestion on how to nerf a blue mage, or at least keep a handle on him? And that marrow drain should NOT be such a low level spell.
(04-30-2014, 11:52 PM)metalforce Wrote: So this is coming from the DM, not the players side. I've got a blue mage in my group and he's rapidly becoming out of control. A first level (maybe 2nd) blue spell, marrow drain, allows my lvl 3 player to have unlimited mana, and just the fact that a blue mage is in my group makes creating encounters a pain! I had them fight a small dragon and suddenly the blue mage is summoning dragons as a limit break, and I'm pretty much not having any monsters cast spells to prevent further abuse. My black mage in the party is quickly being outshined and has half the spell selection, I know he's not happy about this. Can anyone make a suggestion on how to nerf a blue mage, or at least keep a handle on him? And that marrow drain should NOT be such a low level spell.

Well, first off, Marrow Drain only drains MP from casters who have MP. So if a creature doesn't have MP when your blue mage casts it, it has no effect. I assume he has used it on regular creatures and not spellcasters, but I might be wrong.

Secondly, his limit break is only usable while under half health, and there's a HD limit. The blue mage can only summon creatures up to twice his blue mage level in HD. AND the creature has to be from a spell on his spell list that he has learned from. For example, because he has Marrow Drain on his spell list, he can summon a Skeleton.

Lastly, I know it's difficult to handle a blue mage. I have one in my campaign as well. Just have to be careful on what you throw against the party.
yeah, i make it hard on him. but Viladin has a good handle. anyways, not like i broke your campaign or anything... yet.
Anytime Raybras gets OP, I bring out the nerfbat, and he whimpers.
not my fault the blue mage class is so powerful >.>
medium BAB with full MP and medium HP who can also cast with leather armor >.>
/brings out the Nerfbat ™. BACK FOUL DEMON!