Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Materia Questions
I have a few questions about Materia.

1. The Use Magic Device skill says I can make a roll to attune myself to a Spell, Support, or Summon materia (DC20 or DC25 in combat) to allow me to cast the spells it provides. Once you are attuned, is there another roll to activate it? The Spell Sage class feature suggests that there is, but that might be leftover wording from an old version.

2. The Use Magic Device skill also says "Materia slotted in an equipment may also be used to cast spells from". Is that in addition to the one I have attuned? If I have 2 weapon slots and 3 armor slots full of Spell Materia and one in my pocket that I've attuned, do I have 6 I can cast from?

3. Do the spells use your ability scores, or the minimum ability score required to cast the spell, like a Wand does? If I have a level 2 fire materia, does it deal 2d6 +5 (caster level) + 1 (12 int)?

4. If I wear a pair of +1 combat gloves and wield a weapon, like a +1 Rifle for example, and I put 2 materia into the rifle and one into each glove, do they all gain MXP and are they all valid to cast from? I understand that the Weapon abilities on the materia in the gloves would only apply to punching attacks and not to the gun, and when the gloves' Materia leveled up I would need to increase the enchantment on the gloves which would be expensive. Still seems useful and maybe a bit exploitive.

5. Craft Materia feat says you can set the caster level higher, to a max of your caster level. Does this increase the cost? Most spellcasting items in d20 games include the caster level of the item in the cost formula.
(02-21-2014, 10:36 PM)TheSchmaltz Wrote: I have a few questions about Materia.

1. The Use Magic Device skill says I can make a roll to attune myself to a Spell, Support, or Summon materia (DC20 or DC25 in combat) to allow me to cast the spells it provides. Once you are attuned, is there another roll to activate it? The Spell Sage class feature suggests that there is, but that might be leftover wording from an old version.

2. The Use Magic Device skill also says "Materia slotted in an equipment may also be used to cast spells from". Is that in addition to the one I have attuned? If I have 2 weapon slots and 3 armor slots full of Spell Materia and one in my pocket that I've attuned, do I have 6 I can cast from?

3. Do the spells use your ability scores, or the minimum ability score required to cast the spell, like a Wand does? If I have a level 2 fire materia, does it deal 2d6 +5 (caster level) + 1 (12 int)?

4. If I wear a pair of +1 combat gloves and wield a weapon, like a +1 Rifle for example, and I put 2 materia into the rifle and one into each glove, do they all gain MXP and are they all valid to cast from? I understand that the Weapon abilities on the materia in the gloves would only apply to punching attacks and not to the gun, and when the gloves' Materia leveled up I would need to increase the enchantment on the gloves which would be expensive. Still seems useful and maybe a bit exploitive.

5. Craft Materia feat says you can set the caster level higher, to a max of your caster level. Does this increase the cost? Most spellcasting items in d20 games include the caster level of the item in the cost formula.

1. Yes, you have to roll UMD to activate it after attuning.

2. It just means you can attune to any materia you have slotted. You have to attune to a single materia.

3. Minimum.

4. Any materia slotted on you gains MXP and are valid to cast from if you attune to a materia.

5. It does increase the cost. The basic formula is Caster Level x Spell Level x assorted cost (which I don't remember off-hand, but I think its 2k gil).
Thanks. Is the DC to activate the same as to attune, or is it the standard 20 for wands?
(02-23-2014, 06:11 PM)TheSchmaltz Wrote: Thanks. Is the DC to activate the same as to attune, or is it the standard 20 for wands?

Standard.