Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magitek Operators helps
Can the engineer archetype Magitek Operator use weapons he is proficient with while in his magitek or is he limited to slam attacks?
He is limited to Slam Attacks until he picks up Magitek Weapons proficiency feat.
It seems like the Magitek operator and the magitek Pilot are not really compatible like one is an old idea that just hasn't been removed yet, is this the case? if not are they suppose to work together and how?

Also some of the magitek feats dont seem to work with the magitek operator very well.
The standard magiteks are used by random soldiers. There's less customization available and they don't really improve (though you can buy better magitek if you have the money). Who actually pilots the thing matters very little, it's the magitek pulling the weight. Magitek operator is meant to signify a special bond between the magitek and the pilot. The Magitek Operator is supposed to bring more to the table and the magitek improves as you level.

I would like for magitek feats to be usable with it, however.

I have been meaning to take another glance at it, but been busy.
Okay, i do like both styles, i feel like the Magitek Operator needs a little more customization though, some thing like the pathfinder Summoner Archetype, Synthesist, which uses a pool of points to upgrade and enhance your suit.
(12-17-2013, 08:24 AM)theholymoo Wrote: Okay, i do like both styles, i feel like the Magitek Operator needs a little more customization though, some thing like the pathfinder Summoner Archetype, Synthesist, which uses a pool of points to upgrade and enhance your suit.
Keep in mind that it's based on the engineer, whose automaton doesn't have much customization either. What little customization it does have - namely, engineer tricks - function exactly the same, I believe. If you want more customization on the Magitek Operator, you'll have to change the engineer.
Well... perhaps ill homebrew my own, see how it looks, give up, and inevitably play an engineer the way it is.
I currently have a lvl 6 magitek operator and I have to say, I'm impressed. The ability to choose a combat feat instead of an engineer trick (like a fighter) is what really allows this engineer to become combat oriented. Magitek throw is a must have feat in my opinion, along with improved unarmed strike/grapple. Or you could go ranged weapons style and build rocket launchers! Great archetype all around with the engineer giving you a repair ability as a swift action from inside the cockpit.

The only downside is the temporary HP granted by the Automatek®. Really nice early level, then it started to fall behind around 6-7th levels.
I have a few questions, to clarify a couple things.

First, in the Magitek Armor ability, it says that I use the size, shape, movement and physical ability scores (STR, modified DEX) of a standard magitek. What is a standard magitek? Is it a empty large sized base frame from the magitek PDF, or an automaton inflated to size large?

If it is a large automaton, does it gain the other bonuses that would come from that size change (namely STR improvement and DEX penalties), and does it have equipment slots as a normal large magitek?

Also, shouldn't Drive be added as a class skill as a part of the Magitek operator archetype?
(11-05-2014, 12:33 PM)Mecha_Pants Wrote: I have a few questions, to clarify a couple things.

First, in the Magitek Armor ability, it says that I use the size, shape, movement and physical ability scores (STR, modified DEX) of a standard magitek. What is a standard magitek? Is it a empty large sized base frame from the magitek PDF, or an automaton inflated to size large?

If it is a large automaton, does it gain the other bonuses that would come from that size change (namely STR improvement and DEX penalties), and does it have equipment slots as a normal large magitek?

Also, shouldn't Drive be added as a class skill as a part of the Magitek operator archetype?

In essence, I need to rework the archetype because of the magitek changes.

Drive is already added because of Magitek Operation feat.
Thanks for the reply, I guess I didn't realize that there was a design gap between the achetype and the d20 future addition.

The reason I asked about the drive skill in particular was to allow for progression into the magitek pilot prestige class (which I like as a combat-skill oriented branch) as it requires actual ranks to enter and use some of its abilities.

I'm a long time d20 future DM, with a probably obvious infatuation with mecha. I might have a few ideas about how to reconcile the archetype with the future stuff. I'll put together a post in the community creations section once I have my thoughts put into a readable format and can work the progression tables out.
(11-05-2014, 06:02 PM)Mecha_Pants Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I guess I didn't realize that there was a design gap between the achetype and the d20 future addition.

The reason I asked about the drive skill in particular was to allow for progression into the magitek pilot prestige class (which I like as a combat-skill oriented branch) as it requires actual ranks to enter and use some of its abilities.

I'm a long time d20 future DM, with a probably obvious infatuation with mecha. I might have a few ideas about how to reconcile the archetype with the future stuff. I'll put together a post in the community creations section once I have my thoughts put into a readable format and can work the progression tables out.

I also loved d20 Future.

Looking forward to it. Smile
Well Vil's already started posting here so he might have decided he does need to revamp the archetype- but I almost played using the Magitek Operator Archetype in his current game.

He might have just been telling me this stuff so we had an answer to work with on the short-term, but if you were planning on running one these would be easy rule clarifications to run with.

First: The Magitek Armor's statistics were what an Automaton of an equal level would be(it was supposed to have higher Str and lower Dex due to being large, but exact numbers were never reached before I switch to Warmech).

Second: Levels in the Magitek Pilot Prestige Class stacked with Engineer for the purpose of determining the strength (HD, Str/Dex boost, Armor Boost, Magitek Upgrades, etc) of your Magitek Armor, though they didn't stack for anything else.

Like I said, these were mostly decisions that were reached for the sake of a quick answer, but they're easy to work with and keep the PrC useful even for an Engineer, if you really like that Magitek flavor. The Base Class on its own is still pretty sweet.
I like the core aspects and the utility of the engineer archetype, and would add continued growth onto the Magitek Pilot... I might dig back through my polyhedron articles for the "mecha Ace" prestige class from the early version of the mecha rules and magitek it up while I'm at it.
I really need to pay more attention. I had no idea that the Operator's Magitek was different than a standard one. I built an Opereator5/Pilot10 just to see how it would look. Spent the money for a Huge mech, and just applied the Operator's upgrade to it. Granted, at only 5 levels, the only things i really got from Operator was the feat and DR5.
Honestly, I'd suggest just going pure Operator. The extra levels will progress its HD better and give you more Engineer Tricks to spruce it up. If you're only Engineer level 5, the Pilot class offers some benefits sure but you're Automaton/Magitek will never have more than 5-6 HD(forget exactly how much for that level), meaning it will break down easily... especially if you're starting at 15.

The Pilot Class offers some small bonuses but it's intended for the normal Magitek which are all flat numbers, so when you go up against a non-Pilot with the same build you have an edge. With the Magitek Armor from Operator everything from the ground up is up to you... you can even have a Quadruped Magitek and go all Zoid if that's your preference.