Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been Awhile
Hey, its been a while since I checked up on FFd20 but am pleasantly surprised to see its progression and conversion to pathfinder, but i wanted to ask, what happened to the old version of summoner that was less pathfinder more plot based hunting down summons? the new version doesnt interest me much as its kinda just a carbon copy of pathfinders version (which is my favorite class from pathfinder but doesnt have the same flare the old FF one did).
(11-23-2013, 10:46 PM)theholymoo Wrote: Hey, its been a while since I checked up on FFd20 but am pleasantly surprised to see its progression and conversion to pathfinder, but i wanted to ask, what happened to the old version of summoner that was less pathfinder more plot based hunting down summons? the new version doesnt interest me much as its kinda just a carbon copy of pathfinders version (which is my favorite class from pathfinder but doesnt have the same flare the old FF one did).

Have you checked it recently? Besides a couple of abilities, it has nothing to do with PF Summoners.

Although, I do still (i think) have the old one.
oh, well indeed i feel dumb, it just looked very similar in the class layout, summons are more like Animal campanions it seems, that could be kinda cool, I did like the story driven original though (I think it was the original). it looks like the summoner sticks with just 1 summon at a time now is that correct?
(11-23-2013, 11:06 PM)theholymoo Wrote: oh, well indeed i feel dumb, it just looked very similar in the class layout, summons are more like Animal campanions it seems, that could be kinda cool, I did like the story driven original though (I think it was the original). it looks like the summoner sticks with just 1 summon at a time now is that correct?

Yeah.
You do get spell summons though.
i thought i posted this response days ago but i must have lost my connection before sending it, but in a nut shell i was gonna say that the current summoner looks deceptively like the pathfinder original in that the class block list essentially all the exact same abilities but it is different in that its a full caster, weaker attack bonus and instead of an eidolon it gets a empowered animal companion, which... is an interesting idea, i dont think that this version if my cup of tea though and would appreciate the original be posted, unless thats a hastle in which case meh, i love 90% of the other classes, i just will avoid this one myself.

Which, if you dont mind me changing the subject, brings me to another question.
It seems to me that the thief class is rather lacking in combat potential in comparison to the insane overhaul most of the other classes received in comparison to a standard pathfinder campaign, is this in fact the case or is this classes potential some where i'm missing? And again i very well could be wrong, i was last time, but i swear i read the class this time ^_^
The thief/rogue has always been lacking in combat ability, in both final fantasy and pathfinder. If you want better combat you should prestige into ninja, and maybe take the assassin archetype. Thief is cool for utility purposes. Though, thinking about it, Vil's thief doesn't have a "run fast" ability or a "run away" ability, does it. (I'm thinking of 5, where the thief has both). The PF ninja has a smokebomb ability that could probably be used to flee, but it runs on ki (btw, have you thought about distributing the non-ki ninja tricks to the thief? Since your ninja doesn't get them).

I might make a +10 ft. To base speed thief talent, and a followup talent that increases his speed even further if he uses it to withdraw, once I have more time. I'll look into it.

Also, I was looking at the thief and I realized that Minor Magic doesn't specify a 1st level spell. So, uh, that ones my bad and I suggest you specify that it has to be a 1st level spell.

Oh, and to be clear, the thief still has pretty impressive damage potential. Probably not the best since Vil's system has improved Power Attack, but still decent. It's a bit lacking in other combat areas, but I think the mobility and stealth benefits, as well as Vil's theft abilities, makes it a perfectly fine class.
Psst, I did away with Improved/Supreme Power Attack.
(11-29-2013, 12:06 AM)Viladin Wrote: Psst, I did away with Improved/Supreme Power Attack.
Then the thief is likely near the top for pure damage potential, after maybe the beastmaster and chocobo knight. It's perfectly fine for combat.
I think a multiclass fighter/thief would be the best melee potential. Some fighter talents would enhance thief's overall damage.
i think a pure fighter has the best pure damage potential if well built
Dragoon with jump is pretty nasty too.
<(°_°^) (^°_°^) (^°_°)>
I suppose what i really meant was that other classes got a large power boost, as this game seems to just play on a higher power level than pathfinder, but the thief just looks like a rogue with a stealing archetype and would fit in pretty normal with a basic pathfinder group, excluding the limit break.