Poll: Ranged Touch Spells... Much needed change?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No! I like my damage! Don't touch!
36.36%
4 36.36%
Yes, please, nerf them to hell and back, they're way OP.
0%
0 0%
It sounds like a logical change, I approve.
27.27%
3 27.27%
I have no opinion as it doesn't affect me either way.
9.09%
1 9.09%
Goddammit, Vil, stop changing stuff.
27.27%
3 27.27%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranged Touch Spells (Suggested Change)
I've given this a lot of thought and through my own playtest, I have come to a slight conclusion. Damage is where I think it should be, but I want to drop all the ranged touch requirements from most of the spells, allowing targets to make a save for half damage. What say you, folks?
Well i for one would rather hit for half than not hit at all. But i AM a blue mage and i get bonus to hit. Im pulled between the 2, but for the sake of te other classes i say do the change.
It has always seemed to me, for single target spells, their should always be that chance to miss your target, as well as a chance to hit them right in the face or ..... some other spot that would be unpleasant resulting in a critical threat chance. IMO the only spells that should have no attack roll applied are spells that hit an area, their is just no way you are going to miss, unless your blind or for some reason cant hit the broad side of a barn lol. That said, while I did vote, it does not affect me either way...I prefer you keep it the way it is, not so much because I like my damage ( which I do ) but it just makes sense that a single target spell has to hit its target in order for it to have any effect.
Would this affect just aoe spells?
I'm always in favor of dice being in the hands of the player making the action. It helps to speed play along. I also like Mages being able to roll critical hits on their spellcasting; it allows them the same excitement as warriors. However, running attacks based on Base Attack Bonus harms low BAB spellcasting classes, even if the attack targets "Touch" AC. It seems to me that a different solution is better, unfortunately one that requires a diversion from true d20: A spellcasting roll based on a spellcaster's spellcasting level and his primary casting ability and a defense based on the defender's ability to resist magic (or other threats).

Edit: I went to vote and realized that my opinion isn't reflected, so I haven't voted. Sorry, V.
(07-03-2013, 11:28 PM)Wolfen Fenrison Wrote: Would this affect just aoe spells?

No. And the only spells that would be affected are the main single target ray spells (Fire, Blizzard, Light, Dark, Thunder, Stone, Water, Aero). Everything else that has ranged touch would remain the same. (IE Fiery Shurikens, for example).
I picked the last option since it sounded the funniest. As a man who's ran three successful Final Fantasy campaigns so far, I feel that things are fine as they are. Having the main single target spells remain ranged touch is the better idea I think.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
If you want a spell for mages with terrorable rolls add the spell magic missile
to the spell lists. But the spells that are here should remain unchanged.
It should be weaker than the roll to hit spells too.
<(°_°^) (^°_°^) (^°_°)>