Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate Materia System
So I'm working on a different way to handle casting spells from Materia in a campaign I'm running. The idea is that in this campaign, Materia is much more common and widely used so I decided that I would increase the overall effectiveness of casting spells from them.

The alteration to the rules is basically handling Materia similar to wands from D&D/Pathfinder, so that rather than needing to attune the Materia to yourself and then getting three uses you simply use the Use Magic Device skill like with wands and the Materia has so many charges until the it needs a recharge period, the length of time it takes to recharge is going to be based on the level of the Materia. The Caster Level for the Materia will still be your ranks in the Skill.

As for why I posted this, I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts or suggestions for this and how to make this alternate system as good as it can be.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus, Chrono Trigger
use magic device is a class skill for all classes. Now that everybody can sling magic there is diminished need for mages. In your world I'd want to throw them a bone of some sort. Maybe magic resistance or using metamagic feats with the materia.