Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summon spells full round action
Just curious if the full round action for casting a spell for a summoner is intentional for balance. I suspect that is a pretty big draw back. Half my players were wanting to play summoners until it was noticed that every spell on their list is a full round action. This means that on the summoner's turn he/she begins casting a spell. At the beginning of the summoner's next the effect happens. Every opponent has an opportunity to interrupt the spell. The MP is already spent. If by chance the summoner survives and makes all the concentration checks and the target of the spell has survived too and remains in range the effect happens. Is the effects much better then the other mages? Please let me know if I misunderstand this or what I am failing to take into account because I love the new spell descriptions and the flavor these new spells have too.
(06-08-2013, 09:20 PM)Zeth Wrote: Just curious if the full round action for casting a spell for a summoner is intentional for balance. I suspect that is a pretty big draw back. Half my players were wanting to play summoners until it was noticed that every spell on their list is a full round action. This means that on the summoner's turn he/she begins casting a spell. At the beginning of the summoner's next the effect happens. Every opponent has an opportunity to interrupt the spell. The MP is already spent. If by chance the summoner survives and makes all the concentration checks and the target of the spell has survived too and remains in range the effect happens. Is the effects much better then the other mages? Please let me know if I misunderstand this or what I am failing to take into account because I love the new spell descriptions and the flavor these new spells have too.

First off, you're a little confused. I was too. Full-round action and 1 round action are completely different. What you're describing is 1-round actions.

Spells that take a full-round action to cast take effect in the same round that you begin casting.

And yes, this was intended. The summon spells are pretty powerful, on a slightly better curve than normal spells.
(06-08-2013, 10:40 PM)Viladin Wrote:
(06-08-2013, 09:20 PM)Zeth Wrote: Just curious if the full round action for casting a spell for a summoner is intentional for balance. I suspect that is a pretty big draw back. Half my players were wanting to play summoners until it was noticed that every spell on their list is a full round action. This means that on the summoner's turn he/she begins casting a spell. At the beginning of the summoner's next the effect happens. Every opponent has an opportunity to interrupt the spell. The MP is already spent. If by chance the summoner survives and makes all the concentration checks and the target of the spell has survived too and remains in range the effect happens. Is the effects much better then the other mages? Please let me know if I misunderstand this or what I am failing to take into account because I love the new spell descriptions and the flavor these new spells have too.
thanks for the clarification
First off, you're a little confused. I was too. Full-round action and 1 round action are completely different. What you're describing is 1-round actions.

Spells that take a full-round action to cast take effect in the same round that you begin casting.

And yes, this was intended. The summon spells are pretty powerful, on a slightly better curve than normal spells.

thanks for the clarification...
Hiya, I am one of the players Zeth was talking about. Taken from page 213 of the pathfinder core rulebook via copy and paste.
> A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action.
It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn
in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act
normally after the spell is completed. <
And the summoner spells say
Casting Time: 1 full-round action.

So when they say a spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. And the casting time says 1 full-round action...Smile

While I am here I was actually wondering about something though. Summoner again, when your avatar reaches an amount of -hp equal to its con score it is banished to its home plane, and when you summon your avatar the avatar hit points are unchanged from the last time it was summoned. Is their a window where you can use a phoenix down when you re summon or am I missing something here ?)
(06-11-2013, 09:13 AM)Landerkd Wrote: Hiya, I am one of the players Zeth was talking about. Taken from page 213 of the pathfinder core rulebook via copy and paste.
> A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action.
It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn
in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act
normally after the spell is completed. <
And the summoner spells say
Casting Time: 1 full-round action.

So when they say a spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. And the casting time says 1 full-round action...Smile

While I am here I was actually wondering about something though. Summoner again, when your avatar reaches an amount of -hp equal to its con score it is banished to its home plane, and when you summon your avatar the avatar hit points are unchanged from the last time it was summoned. Is their a window where you can use a phoenix down when you re summon or am I missing something here ?)

There is a difference in the two. Both requires full-round actions. But a full-round action spell starts/ends on the player's turn. A 1-round action spell starts/ends on the player's next turn.

If your avatar gets banished, it comes back with full health when you resummoned it. There is no window to use a phoenix down though.
Ok, ty Smile